Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,554   Online: 992

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

enlarging lens for medium format

What size enlarging lens should i buy to print both 6x6 and 6x7 medium format negatives? I have an omega D5 4x5 enlarger. Can i use one lens for both sizes?
    thanks,
    bryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe a 75 or 80mm lens would be sufficient for both sizes.

You will need a focal length of 100mm to cover the 6x7cm negative adequately. It also can be used for the 6x6. I use my 100mm Schneider Componon-S for 6x9cm to 6x6 cm even though 105mm is often recommended for 6x9. I find no coverage or sharpness problems in the corners of moderate enlargements. You should be able to find a 105mm Nikon enlarging lens very easily on the used market.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMHO a 90mm lens will have enough coverage for a 6x7 negative, and many 80mm lenses will be acceptable as well. 100mm or 105mm gives you some extra wiggle room.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use a 80mm Rodagon for 6x6 and 6x7 with no problems but I usualy crop a bit. I think 6x7 is the limit for that lens. I would like to go to 105mm to be safe.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Images
    Good Morning, Brian,

For many years, I used an old 80mm Componon for both 6 x 6 and 6 x 7. Coverage was adequate--but just barely--for the 6 x 7. I currently use a 75mm El-Nikkor for 6 x 6 and a 90mm Omegaron for 6 x 7. A 100mm or a 105mm has excess coverage for 6 x 7, but comes in handy for the occasional 6 x 9 negative.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find a Componon APO 90, it will do well at this duty and be an ideal solution. If you are patient, you can pick up a good example used without spending too much. I tend to leave mine on for everything from 645 through 67 and seldom feel a need for other focal lengths.
    Craig Schroeder

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin