Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,105   Online: 902

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Splitgrade measurement probing

I just got my Splitgrade Controller through the post today and have manged to get it all set up. I've been having a play about with it and have set it for my paper. Bear in mind I haven't had a proper read of the instructions yet before aking this. Don't shout! So yeah, I've waved the wand about a bit underneath the projected image at f/5.6. The Controller keeps suggesting different combinations of exposure time and grade though, even though I've scanned the image in much the same way each time. Shouldn't it be consistant? Has anyone got any hands on advice which could help me. What's the best way of probing your negs?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I tend to get very consistent results, make sure that your probing includes the lightest and darkest areas of the negative which contain some detail and avoid any burnt highlights or shadows with no detail. The Heiland is a wonderful device, it is a huge time saver for getting a working print and has nice features for the detail work as well. Enjoy your new toy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
    Enjoy your new toy!
    Cheers! I certainately hope it's worth the grand I payed along with the enlarger!

I found it very sensitive to darkroom safelights (maybe its just my imagination).

When I close my hanging sodium vapor safelight (forgot the name right now), I get much different readings then when the safe light is on.

All in all, I love the split grade, especially its integration with my LPL enlarger.

Did you get the comfort controller? Makes a world of difference.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, no Comfort Control as of yet. Is it really worth getting it that much? I'll try turning one of the safelights off next time and see what happens. Well... first I'll try and print something with it anyway! So you scan the whole image being projected whilst avoiding the deepest blacks and purest whites? is it seriously that easy? Can't wait to try a print tomorrow, a little drunk right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    I found it very sensitive to darkroom safelights (maybe its just my imagination).

When I close my hanging sodium vapor safelight (forgot the name right now), I get much different readings then when the safe light is on.

--Jeffrey
    Jeffrey - you need to take measurements in darkness. The controller has a safelight output which will automatically switch the safelight off during measurement. However, your sodium safelight won't like this so you'll need to rig up some sort of system to cover it up while you're taking measurements. The Heiland probe - in common with our Analyser and ZoneMaster - doesn't have any form of safelight filtering as such filters are rarely 100% reliable. It's easier to examine the baseboard image when the safelight is switched off too.
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoa, just got my first print back from it. What did I do to deserve this thing!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jeffrey - you need to take measurements in darkness.
    Exactly, this is very important.

Further you have 2 (measurement) modes: Continuous and Multi Point.
    You can switch between them when the (enlarger) light is ON and by + or -.
    If you're more experienced, with Multi Point you can do a measurement quicker and even more accurate (when choosing the right points).

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Robert,

I haven't used multipoint measurement much yet. Do you then choose the highest and lowest densities that should have detail and just measure those points?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Exactly, that's OK and to create a more smooth measurement you're doing that each 2 times on a different place. Normally 4 measurements should provide the necessary data in an accurate way.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin