Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,152   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

DeVere 504 "notchy focus"

I recently aquired an old 504 and had a chance to use it for the first tijme today. I discovered while attempting to get a final focus using my grain focuser that the focus control (the big knob on the left) is very "notchy". It would sit "here" or "here", but not in between where the best focus was. A bit distressing - I've been trying not to make blurry images.

Before I start pulling this thing apart I thought I'd ask if anybody out there has a simple solution or barring that, some first-hand knowledge of what I should watch out for as I start pulling things apart to cleaning and lubrication.

So, you legion of loyal DeVere users... what should be my next approach in solving the notchy focusing?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    I recently aquired an old 504 and had a chance to use it for the first tijme today. I discovered while attempting to get a final focus using my grain focuser that the focus control (the big knob on the left) is very "notchy". It would sit "here" or "here", but not in between where the best focus was. A bit distressing - I've been trying not to make blurry images.

Before I start pulling this thing apart I thought I'd ask if anybody out there has a simple solution or barring that, some first-hand knowledge of what I should watch out for as I start pulling things apart to cleaning and lubrication.

So, you legion of loyal DeVere users... what should be my next approach in solving the notchy focusing?

Thanks in advance!
    Buy a De Vere manual from Odyssey, the manufacturers. It's not cheap -- £25 -- but it's all the information you need. They can also supply any parts you need.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the DeVere enlargers I've used, about 15 of them, all had two wheels in the front.

The left wheel moves the lens board.

The right wheel moves the negative board.

At the back of each of these wheels you should find a locking knob, are you locking and unlocking this knob?

If you have this knob locked, it is impossible to move anything.

If by chance you have this knob slightly tensioned, then maybe what you are describing could happen.

Out of all enlarger systems I have used, the DeVere system of locking, is the only one I trust 100%.

Another possibility is that the chain(s) at the rear may be in need of lubricating. If the unit hasn't seen action for a number of years, it may be possible that the links are either rusting up, or full of crud.

Short of dropping the enlarger off the back of a truck, I fail to see how any DeVere enlarger could be damaged, they really are that strong.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post

Short of dropping the enlarger off the back of a truck, I fail to see how any DeVere enlarger could be damaged, they really are that strong.

Mick.
    Dear Mick,

Wild exaggeration! I can think of several other ways to damage them:

Sledgehammer

Drive over them with a Land Rover or anything larger (a tank would be best)

Insert 6' lever and pull hard...

In other words, I pretty much agree with you.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you could try playing with the two knobs left and right of the base of the centre column, I think they adjust the tension of the wheels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The tension knobs I've discovered, but the chain... that'll be today's journey.

Thanks for the insight folks!

Dave
    (rounding up a set of my tools as the enlarger currently lives where I work...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    The tension knobs I've discovered, but the chain... that'll be today's journey.

Thanks for the insight folks!

Dave
    (rounding up a set of my tools as the enlarger currently lives where I work...)
    Dave,
    you'll need AF rather than metric hex keys if you're going to take anything apart...
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, you get the chains on the free standing models. Sometimes there is a missing cog tooth or broken nylon wheel that can make the focussing notchy.

Have to agree with the others that they are pretty hard to break and even harder to get a floor standing model up two flights of stairs!
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've the instruction manual if you need to consult anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fintan, thanks for this offer. Life has conspired to keep me from pursuing this issue in earnest until coming Monday...

I'll PM you if I get lost enough to need expert advice.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    I've the instruction manual if you need to consult anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin