Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,530   Online: 1035

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Jobo Multitank2 4x5 question

A few months ago, I was at the local photo shop, browsing the used darkroom equipment and talking to my son about developing 4x5. The salesman came over and we started talking. He asked if we developed other formats besides 4x5, and I told him that I mostly did 120 in SS Kinderman tanks. So he hands me a Jobo Multitank2 (#2523) and says that I should try it for 4x5... that I could load it in the changing bag (which I confess is very easy to do) and then develop the film like a regular daylight tank. Sounds attractive.

So I finally got around to trying it out. I found an old plastic rear lens cap that fits snuggly over the opening where the gear is. I loaded it with 4 sheets of film and proceeded to develop them using it like a daylight tank.

Lo & behold! It is not light proof when used vertically like a daylight tank - - or, at least, the one I have isn't. The lid was snapped on tight. But when I examined the reel closely, there are 2 small holes - - more like slits - - in the side of the center column of the reel which I assume let the light in while pouring in chemicals and are probably really there for good chemical circulation when used on the machine. I'm guessing that when used on it side mounted on the machine, those slits are not a problem.

So my questions are simple: Should this have worked? Or was this well-intentioned salesman just stringing me along? If I melt some plastic over the 2 slits, do I need to worry about other places that might leak light? I have to say that doing 8 4x5 sheets in daylight is very attractive and it is very easy to load.

Thanks for any insight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Was the tank complete? Film lid with a funnel?

Or was it a print lid with a cup?

The tanks can be used inversion style. Lots of chemicals but they can be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick:

Your question helped me solve the problem. I could not answer it, because I didn't know what the difference between the two lids was. So I went out on the internet and found some pictures. In the process, I found out that there is a center column that goes up inside the center of the reel making a licht-tight connection with the inside of the lid. My tank came with 2 reels: one for roll film (with the center column stuck in it) and one for sheet film. I did not realize that the center column stuck into the smaller reel was removable. So I took it out and, et voila! ...it fits into the center of the sheet film reel. That should make the center light tight. I feel so foolish.

Thanks. After ruining 4 sheets, I would have tossed it if you had not asked your question. You gotta love this place...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The JOBO tanks are great! I've just gone to the step of buying another bigger tank, a bunch of rollfilm reels and another 4x5" reel. My first test of this was developing two 35mm and five 4x5" slide films at the same time. Just great!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Westley !
    I use 2521 and 2551 Jobo tanks for 4x5 processing by hand (inversion).
    They are the same as your's but the gear is not here and instead there is a regular cap.
    I once had a Combiplan and had too many scratched films with it. so I gave up and now use the Jobo alone.
    Jobo tanks are modular. the reels centre core are the same in diameter for every film tank, there are 2 diameters for the tanks : a small one for 135/120 film and one for paper and 135/120/4x5 film. The difference between film and paper tans are the funnel for film which is replaced by a cup for paper.
    So you can make any combination you may like...
    The Jobo 2521 is for one 2509 4x5 reel and takes 1.450 l chemistry used upright by inversion.
    The Jobo 2551 is for two 2509 reel and takes 3.0 l chemistry. It helps you make some fitness exercice....
    Enjoy !

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin