Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,118   Online: 841

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Moving a De vere 504 Floor Enlarger

Hi All,

Well, I found a local college geting rid of their darkroom, and they have a free standing De Vere 4x5 enlarger. I may not get a chance to see it before I pick it up, and was hoping someone here can tell me what its dimensions are (to see how big a car I need) and how to best take it apart. Thanks a lot,

GB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just done a quick search and found these:
    how to move it (disassembly instructions): http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00BNog

It's column is apparrently around the 85 inch mark, give or take a bit for the leveling screws.
    As regards the rest of the dimensions... maybe somone on here who owns one can jump in?
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I got mine I used my brother's Toyota Hi-Ace van. It pretty much filled the room from the rear of the front seats to near the rear door.

Whatever you do be careful of the head, it comes off very easily and is only held in place basically by a spring loaded clip. You'll see.

You can lift it with two people, but it isn't easy to do. If you have to use stairs then you need a trolly, one with a triangle of wheels for stairs is best,

Basically it's quite heavy and awkward!

Mick.

CGross
    I'll look at my manual tonight and get the dimensions. There are 2 knobs on either side of the column. The lock the neg and head. You will want to make darn sure they are tight. I would also lower the head down as low as possible.

It will fit in a Minivan such as a Dodge Caravan, etc with all the seats out, but barely. If you don't have to take it apart then don't. There are some very specific steps to take if you have to.
    The link ben-s sent is very accurate, but is easier to understand if you have the manual and you are standing in front of the 504.

Good luck. You are getting one of the best enlargers around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos View Post
    There are 2 knobs on either side of the column. The lock the neg and head. You will want to make darn sure they are tight. I would also lower the head down as low as possible.
    I can second this. When I got my 504, I didn't tighten the locking screws. Consequently, when I removed the light source, the negative stage flew up and hit me in the face. I was lucky not to lose an eye, as the edge of the carrier just missed my glasses. I was left with a black eye though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos View Post

Good luck. You are getting one of the best enlargers around.
    Definitely. I love mine now I'm getting used to the sheer size of the thing.
    Enjoy"
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I have one of these. You can remove the baseboard and separate the stand part from the enlarger part, if you have to. (Basically, this is a bench enlarger mounted to a special stand.) It's a fine enlarger. If it is color, the dichroic filters have probably faded, especially the magenta. De Vere for some reason put the color filters between the lamps and the heat reflecting glass.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Peter,

Can it be used as a bench enlarger, without the base? How do you separate the base?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gbenaim View Post
    Peter,

Can it be used as a bench enlarger, without the base? How do you separate the base?
    I bought my De-Vere almost 7 or 8 years ago, and that's the last time I moved it. I expect that it could be bench or wall-mounted, but there might be special equipment needed to do so. How hard this would be, I don't know off-hand. A De Vere manual, which are still available, would tell you more. Mine is awol, or I'd look it up. You could give Odyssey Sales or KBH Photographic a call, and they might be able to help out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Many colleges have much older De Vere's and the original frames didn't all split, however the current frames do.

Two precautions first make sure that the head is at the top of the column, and remove the light source'colour head. The reason - once the frame is split the mechanism counter balancing the head is unlocked and the head will move rapidly up the column.

The Two bolts at the back behind the focus and head height locks must be tightened up fully these lock the gear mechanism in place. If you fail to do this getting the chains back in place is awkward and also messy as they are usually greased.

I have a manual for my 10"x8" DeVere and can scan the relevant section if you want - the frames are essentially the same. I will admit to making both these mistakes it's easy to do.

The bench models need a different frame which hlds the base-board. One word of warning the modern floor standind De Vere's are tall !

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I moved a floor standing 504 in one piece. Two people can carry it quite easily and we managed to get it up two flights of narrow stairs! The only thing I had to do was take the baseboard frame off and that's when the chains became unthreaded. As Ian mentioned it's both a tricky and messy job to get them back on as they certainly didn't scrimp with the amount of grease.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin