Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,152   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Jobo 2840: drying to avoid water marks on prints

I've just started using my Jobo CPA-2 with the 2840 print drums to develop paper. I have three print drums, and I let them sit upside down on a dish rack to drain between uses. I also alternate among them.

However, I get what appear to my relatively-inexperienced eyes as water marks on the finished prints. I assume this is because the inside is not bone dry, or I get water on my hands from the damp exterior and transfer that water to the paper as I insert it in the drum. The problem is almost certain to occur if I load two 8x10" papers in the drum because it's such a tight fit that I end up struggling in the near dark and use my hands to see if the papers' edges are behind the spacers.

Assuming that others have experienced this situation and solved it, I'd like to learn how folks here dry the drums between uses, and if my assumption is correct that these are water streaks and marks from my hands.

Perhaps I need to design and build a drum dryer that is similar to the film dryer I built, but with heat.

TIA,

Rich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to describe the spots.

I let them drip dry between uses then just before I need it I take a paper towel and wipe it dry. The inside of the lid needs to be dried also. That's all it takes for me. Just a quick wipe with a paper towel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nick,

Spots, streaks; both look like water tracks. It may well be that I'm not drying the lids sufficiently. I'd wipe the bottom of the chemical cannister, but not do as thorough a job with the rest of the lid as I do with the drum itself.

That's probably my problem. Thanks for making me aware of better lid drying.

Rich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spots sound like water. Streaks I'm not so sure. Is this colour or B&W? How much fluid are you using? Prewash?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a 2840 user, and havn't experienced you problem. I do rinse and dry the drums between use as opposed to letting them drain dry. The drum top must be flushed through completly before reuse, if not traces of fixer may remain, which will kill the first developer to pass through and give uneven development.
    No need to use special equipment to dry the drums, I use old towels for this job.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also use a paper towel to dry the inside of the drum and the end caps between prints. Definitely don't skip the pre-rinse step (using your temp controlled water). It helps eliminate streaks that can sometimes happen from developer contacting dry paper, but most importantly, it gets the inside of the drum and the paper up to proper temperature so it doesn't cause the develper temp to drop when you pour it in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Spots sound like water. Streaks I'm not so sure. Is this colour or B&W? How much fluid are you using? Prewash?
    It's all B&W. The streaks look like water ran down the face of the print. I do give each print a 1 minute pre-soak with water.

Based on all the other replies, I think I need to rinse and dry the cap better -- particularly the chemistry cup.

I'll report back after the next session ... perhaps tomorrow evening.

Thanks, Nick,

Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I'm a 2840 user, and havn't experienced you problem. I do rinse and dry the drums between use as opposed to letting them drain dry. The drum top must be flushed through completly before reuse, if not traces of fixer may remain, which will kill the first developer to pass through and give uneven development.
    No need to use special equipment to dry the drums, I use old towels for this job.
    Dave,

I do the washing on the machine, too. Changing the water every 30 seconds over 4 minutes for RC paper and 20 minutes for FB paper. That's what Formulary recommends to follow their TF-4 fixer.

I will dry the cap specifically now.

Many thanks,

Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by max_ebb View Post
    I also use a paper towel to dry the inside of the drum and the end caps between prints. Definitely don't skip the pre-rinse step (using your temp controlled water). It helps eliminate streaks that can sometimes happen from developer contacting dry paper, but most importantly, it gets the inside of the drum and the paper up to proper temperature so it doesn't cause the develper temp to drop when you pour it in.
    Max,

I do a pre-soak, and the chemicals sit in the processor's tempering bath between uses.

Based on everyone's reply, my problem is almost certainly water draining out of the cap when I put it on the drum.

Thanks,

Rich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To close this thread, it was insufficient drying of the caps that caused the problems. Now I disassemble, dry thoroughly, and have eliminated that problem.

I also taught myself how to position the clips and load paper to process two prints at one time. Takes more time than slipping a print into a tray, but that's not an option for me now.

Thanks, all,

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin