Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,562   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format

"Wide angle" enlarging lens.

Due to restrictions relating to where my enlarger is situated, I am unable to raise the head to the end of its column. Would I be able to get larger prints at a lower head height were I to use a shorter focal length lens, eg 40mm, when enlarging 35mm negatives and, if so, would they be free of distortion ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In the past some shorter than normal enlarging lenses have been made for this. Perhaps others can tell you what lenses to look for.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think there were some EL-Nikkor WA (unless I'm confusing them with a different manufacturer) lenses for just this purpose--wideangle designs for big prints with short enlargers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there are WA Componon lenses in focal lengths 80mm and 135mm, that cover 6x9 and 4x5 formats, respectively. They are of very high quality. I have been using 80mm WA for years and haven't seen a sharper enlarging lens. It is tack sharp wide open with 16x20" prints, used with 6x7 negative. HOwever, they do have slight light fall off in the very corners, about 0.3 stop-that is easy fix. There are also WA Compononf of shorter focal lengths (40mm?). ROdagons also come in WA version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I think there were some EL-Nikkor WA (unless I'm confusing them with a different manufacturer) lenses for just this purpose--wideangle designs for big prints with short enlargers.
    Yes, I have a 40mm "N" series El Nikkor. It is a 6 element design and is multi-coated. It covers 35mm full frame. I bought mine on eBay new from Cameta (a NY Camera store)for about $50.00.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, out of curiosity I put an old Soviet Mir-1 37mm lens on my enlarger, stuck a negative in the carrier, and had a look. I noticed no light drop-off in the corners, but I was just "eyeballing" it. As the Mir-1 is a camera lens (for 39mm thread-mount SLRs), it probably wouldn't make a great enlarger lens. It might distort or get unacceptably blurry in the corners. It might be useable in a pinch to make smaller-than-usual enlargements with relatively high head height, though. I did once use it to enlarge a 110-format negative and the print was fine (or as fine as could be expected from a 30-year-old 110 negative that wasn't stored under ideal conditions).

Images
    The falloff may be the light source. You may need an oversize light source for WA projection. 35mm on a 6x7 enlarger is fine.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both Schneider Kreuznach and Rodenstock do (did) a 35mm wide angle enlarging lens.

The effect with both of them is that you will get a 30% greater enlargement at any enlarger height, compared to a standard 50mm lens.

The Rodagon-WA 40mm f/4 is from Rodenstock

The WA-Componon 40mm f/4 is from Schneider Kreuznach

To give you an idea of how long these have been around, both brochures I have copied this stuff from, were obtained from dealers in the mid to late eighties, when I was on the market for a new enlarging lens.

According to the blurb, it would appear that both of these lenses are very well corrected for distortions and like problems. Basically these lenses were designed for professional darkroom use, meaning that they should be very good performers.

I have seen prints from the Schneider lens, a friend used one when he was enlarging for a living, very high magnification, very nice prints.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    If memory serves me correctly both the Componon and Rodagon are now offered in 45mm focal length. Leica made a 40mm Focotar that was nice but inferior to the 50mm Focotar II. Zeiss made a 40mm 56 S Biogon..no diaphragm .for 15x and larger work.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for your information so far. I have something now to go on. I am trying to repeat some experiments I did with a previous enlarger where I homed in on a small area of the negative to enlarge that. My current enlarger has a wider head and at the top of the column I meet movement restrictions.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin