Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,518   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Enlarger transformer blown

A while ago I got a Vivitar VI Enlarger at a pretty reasonable price, $120AUS including shipping. However, after a power surge the transformer blew rather dramatically, which has basically rendered it useless. I took the transformer unit to get repaired, and on calling them today I've found out it'd cost them roughly $700 to rewire the transformer. $600 more than their original quote, so I don't really have much option but to look for a replacement. The problem is the voltage is apparently rather odd, 18 volts from what I can remember, not having it here in front of me to read off of.
    Does anyone have any ideas of where I could hope to find a replacement, has anyone else used this particular enlarger? Would it be viable to get a different voltage transformer and changed the bulb to match?
    Basically I'm kinda screwed without it, really. It's quite a nice enlarger otherwise.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you looked on ebay, quite often, I have seen transformers on there, might be able to purchase a new one for it..

Dave

Images
    Fleath,
    You probably have a good options. I'm not familiar with the specific enlarger, but since it uses a transformer and you are mentioning 18v, I am assuming the head uses a quartz halogen projector lamp. You need a replacement transformer to go from your mains AC voltage to the 18v of the bulb that will handle, at least, specified amperage. As long as the transformer will physically fit in the power supply box it should work well. It does have to be a branded identical replacement part, just the physically and electrical equivalent.

Typically enlargers using quartz halogen bulbs run at a more common 24 volts. Therefore, perhaps a 24v transformer will be easier to obtain. Matching the current bulb wattage in a 24v QH bulb should be fairly easy. Just watch the bulb's color temperature to not screw up your filtering.

The repair cost quoted must have come with a kiss and a cigarette at the end!

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had a look around and there hasn't been anything suitable on eBay Australia or eBay.com that I could find, sadly. The transformer was manufactured by Vivitar themselves, or at least has their branding on it from what I can remember.

EDIT: Ah! Thank you very much...It doesnt seem so hopeless now. It is indeed a quartz halogen bulb. I was warned the 18v globe I had may be hard to come by if I needed a replacement, so if I could have it fixed and use more common globes I'd actually be a better position than how I started. I'll certainly look into it, my biggest concern was somehow ruining the whole thing by overloading the wiring.
    Last edited by Alex Bishop-Thorpe; 11-15-2006 at 11:37 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Reply to galyons
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Images
    Just another thought. Perhaps, or actually most likely, the enlarger was made by another manufacturer and branded Vivitar, You might research this. I'd start with LPL as a likely candidate!

Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It happened to me two wekks ago and what did I do.. (mine is 12 Volt), I bought a cheap set of halogen lamps that come together with a transformer for 20 Euros. The transormer specs are the same 12V/100W. I connected it to the enlarger and it works. The only differernce is that the original transformer had some kind of delay built in. I don't know if this is of some importance, but till now I can live without it.
    Maybe you can find something similar.
    cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How many watts is the halogen lamp? You need a transformer that can handle the current as well as be the correct voltage. Another consideration is whether the transformer actually supplies 18V or a higher voltage that is then regulated down to 18V by the circuitry in the stabilizer. Without knowing this, getting a 3rd party transformer is a bit hit and miss.

Better to either replace the lamp (if it will fit) with another one as suggested (lack of stabilisation is not really an issue if you only do B&W printing) or either go for a new enlarger or find a whole enlarger of the same type - given the price some enlargers go for these days, that can be a reasonable option, financially.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's 80watts according to what I have written down for the lamp - I think I'll talk to the electronics guy again and find out what it'd cost to get it rewired at 24v Rather than 18, and pick up some new lamps. Depends if it's a reasonable price, I think. At this stage I'm just doing 35mm black and white, If I need anything larger or in colour I'll invest in a new enlarger.
    Blog thing!.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've seen variable power supplies a number of times in the electronics shops around here that allow you to dial in the settings you need for any given hookup so you can get whatever odd voltages you need. If you got one of these it would certainly cheaper than what you listed for the replacement cost for your transformer and it would allow you to select whatever voltage you need. You might also check the online science project sites if you can't find one locally.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I needed a replacement for my Durst I found one, used for halogen lamps, for about $20 at a lighting shop, just sodered it in line, has worked just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin