Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,438   Online: 1026

Shooter
    Medium Format

Condenser/Diffuser modifiication of the negative carrier

Hello,
    I have now two enlargers in use - one condenser (6x9) and one diffuser (6x7) for different types of looks they produce. The condense enlarger (magnifax 4a) come with a glass carrier with glasses that could be easily mounted and unmounted.

I was wondering if I replace the top glass of the negative carrier with matted glass of the same dimensions would I get results like diffuser enlarger? If this is so, I could give the 6x7 enlarger to a friend and convert to diffuser/condenser enlarger by simply replacing the top glass in the carrier.

Thanks in advance
    Luben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by karavelov View Post
    Hello,
    The condense enlarger (magnifax 4a) come with a glass carrier with glasses that could be easily mounted and unmounted.

I was wondering if I replace the top glass of the negative carrier with matted glass of the same dimensions would I get results like diffuser enlarger? If this is so, I could give the 6x7 enlarger to a friend and convert to diffuser/condenser enlarger by simply replacing the top glass in the carrier.

Thanks in advance
    Luben
    Luben, I presume you have a Magnifax with a condenser B&W head, the one which uses an opal lamp - like the one shown here.

If so, you can "convert" it to a diffusion enlarger (well, kind of) by inserting a ground glass ("matted glass") into the filter carrier - it's the drawer in the enlarger head, ABOVE the negative carrier, where you usually insert multigrade filters for printing with multigrade papers.

The upper glass in the negative carrier is usually AN (Anti-Newton) glass, which prevents formation of "Newton rings" when the negative is pressed in the carrier.

If you don't have a ground glass for the filter drawer, the nearest glass/framing shop can easily make it for you - however, note that the glass should be heat-resistant!

Regards,

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Denis,

Yes, my Magnifax is with condenser B&W head with opal lamp. I will try inserting a matt glass in the filter drawer as you suggest.

Best regards
    luben

Images
    The closer the diffusion surface to the neg, the better. If you are using a glass carrier, change the top glass to a diffusion glass. No need for it to be anti-Newton. The penalty here is loss of speed. The diffusor will chew up at least one stop and maybe more.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also think that putting the diffuser closer to the negative will have stronger effect. The loss of speed is not a thing that bothers me a lot. I will try these days and will report my findings.

Thanks
    luben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also think that putting the diffuser closer to the
    negative will have stronger effect.
    I've about an 1/8 inch, 3mm, twixt the bottom surface
    of the bottom condenser and the top surface of the
    negative carrier. I'll likely see what and how to fit
    a diffuser into that space. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also think that putting the diffuser closer to the
    negative will have stronger effect. luben
    Very close and it will be in the same plane of
    focus as the negative. A very fine grained and
    clean diffuser is suggested. Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin