Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,897   Online: 984

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thomas Duplex Xafelight Filter Replacement

I just bought a full darkroom setup used including a Thomas Duplex safelight and I noticed both the red and orange filter gels are cracked and from the searches about the safelight, nothing on replacement of the filters.

Can someone recommend the filters I should use to replace them with? Will roscoe gel filters be good?

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darrelll View Post
    I just bought a full darkroom setup used including a Thomas Duplex safelight and I noticed both the red and orange filter gels are cracked and from the searches about the safelight, nothing on replacement of the filters.

Can someone recommend the filters I should use to replace them with? Will roscoe gel filters be good?
    my Thomas fell out off the hook and broke a couple of filters. I went to a glass shop and bought the required size and number of glass and I used Ruby Lith material to sandwich between the glass. I think it cost me about 15 dollars total. The replacement filters are available from Calumet Photo and used to cost about $100 for the set. What ever you do, run a "how safe is my safelight" test before trusting it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    my Thomas fell out off the hook and broke a couple of filters. I went to a glass shop and bought the required size and number of glass and I used Ruby Lith material to sandwich between the glass. I think it cost me about 15 dollars total. The replacement filters are available from Calumet Photo and used to cost about $100 for the set. What ever you do, run a "how safe is my safelight" test before trusting it.

lee\c

How Safe Is Your Safelight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee I have a used Thomas and will be installing it. I noticed that the chain is kind of like "cheap". I was wondering about having it fall on my head. I am thinking of putting some stranded wire in it as a safety measure. Those Thomas safelights are really heavy! I like the why you made your filters. Prolighting.Com has lower wattage bulbs and also transformers.

Curt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darrelll View Post
    .....Can someone recommend the filters I should use to replace them with? Will roscoe gel filters be good?
    I bought some at B&H about 6 months ago. Or like Lee suggested, try some ruby lith or red or amber Roscoe gels. Or if the filters are just cracked, maybe put some black electrical tape over the cracks.

One other note.... Remember, VC paper tolerates less safelight. I put some cardboard "shutters" over about 75% of my filters, and still there is more than enough light. Then try a safelight test.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I bought some at B&H about 6 months ago. Or like Lee suggested, try some ruby lith or red or amber Roscoe gels. Or if the filters are just cracked, maybe put some black electrical tape over the cracks.

One other note.... Remember, VC paper tolerates less safelight. I put some cardboard "shutters" over about 75% of my filters, and still there is more than enough light. Then try a safelight test.
    There's already some translucent paper over the filters. Was that standard issue?

Thanks everybody for your input, I think I'll pickup some Roscoe gels and replace the old cracked filters.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I do not use filters on my Thomas. I put cardboard painted flat black in the space and vary the opening to reduce the quantity of light. I have not had a fogging problem with VC, or graded papers. I do a lot of alternative work and open the flaps almost entirely when coating. I have not had a problem with this either.

Yes, I have run a "How safe is your safelight" test about every 6 months.

Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Curt,

yes, the Thomas is very heavy. The chain should be able to hold the weight. That is how mine is currently suspended now. That said if you feel safer with the stranded wire by all means don't let me talk you out of it. Mine fell because I am a dumb butt most of the time. I hung it on a hook that I did not install and it never occurred to me that the hook was not embedded in a timber. It wasn't and one day it dropped out of the ceiling.

The ruby lith in the filter glass I think is a good idea for several reasons, one is it is cheap two it is a quick easy thing to do and third ruby lith offers a different color for the safe light and I believe it makes the vc paper less sensitive to the spectrum of light that the Thomas light normally puts out. The Thomas has always had a reputation for not being as safe for some vc papers as others. I now can use Forte Warm Tone paper with the vanes full open and if you can believe the reports FWT is the least safe under the Thomas. Good luck.

lee\c

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Lee, that's a great idea. I have issues all the time with fogging since I switch back and forth between Ilford and Forte.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can someone give some hard info about what constitutes a ruby lith filter? Is there a rosco color or some other product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin