Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Meopta colour head grades

Does anyone know what colour settings on a Meopta colour head are used for multigrade printing grades?
    My old Opemus 5 came with a colour "Meochrom" head with colour intensity adjustments that run from 0 to 150. This is not listed in Ilfords information included with their paper, Meopta is listed but it must be a more recent range which goes up to 200, and that stops short of grade 5.
    Should I just scale each setting down by a factor of 150/200?

Regards, Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    I did a quick check on one of the grade settings only using the factoring for my Durst M605 to see if I could arrive at the correct filtration for the 130M max head as opposed to the 170M max head and it didn't get me there - well not quite but it wasn't a mile off. I think it was off by 6M.

I don't know how crucial 6M is but not very I wouldn't have thought, given the difference in the M or Y rating for even half a grade difference.

I'd do the calc for each grade and see what the difference is. Presumably with more units on your head you could afford to be further away i.e. a 6M difference on a Durst head may be equates to a 10M difference on a Meopta head.

Hopefully there are others who use Meopta and have user knowledge. If I recall correctly from his books or his website Roger Hicks is/was a Meopta user.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got a newer head, unfortunately.

But I don't really understand the need to know the exact settings - if the first print is way too soft I crank it up a lot, if it's a little soft I crank it up about 30, and if it looks good I'll crank the magenta up about 15 anyway.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Dave,

I would like to second Ole's comment. The concept of specific grades is not needed with VC paper.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear Dave,

I would like to second Ole's comment. The concept of specific grades is not needed with VC paper.

Neal Wydra
    Thanks for your comments, all gratefully received.
    I am newish to this, having run my M670 for a couple of years (not enough printing though). This Meopta is to be dedicated to 35mm as frequent changes to/from MF are a pain. I would like to increase a colour to change contrast, in fact that sounds perfect, but I thought that the mix or balance between two colours was to keep a constant exposure across the range. Is this not the case?

Regards, Dave....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave,

I recommend a (very cheap and very useful) Ilford EM-10 enlarging meter. It just so happens that a reading of an almost-white area of the print will give exactly the same tone across all filters with Ilford paper.

If I find I need to change filtration I select a highlight, twiddle the meter dial until it goes green; change filtration, twiddle the aperture (or in my case, aperture and Neutral filtration) until it's green again; and then make a print at exactly the same exposure time.

In ten prints it had paid for itself in test-print savings.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The settings for Ilford papers are printed on the paper's processing instructions, although just to confuse us, they are on the other side from the English language section. The chances are that other papers wont be much different. They give the settings for a range of enlargers, not just Meopta.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Meopta Opemus 6 Color enlarger. These are the recommended grade settings from Ilford for RC paper with a Meopta colour head:

Colour........Grade
    setting

150Y..........00
    90Y............0
    70Y...........1/2
    55Y...........1
    30Y...........1 1/2
    20M...........2 1/2
    40M...........3
    65M...........3 1/2
    85M...........4
    200M..........4 1/2

Y = Yellow M = Magenta

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by fidget View Post
    Does anyone know what colour settings on a Meopta colour head are used for multigrade printing grades?
    My old Opemus 5 came with a colour "Meochrom" head with colour intensity adjustments that run from 0 to 150. This is not listed in Ilfords information included with their paper, Meopta is listed but it must be a more recent range which goes up to 200, and that stops short of grade 5.
    Should I just scale each setting down by a factor of 150/200?

Regards, Dave
    I think if you wanted to be really sure, you'd have to make some densitometric tests under your working conditions. You would expose a step tablet through various filter settings and measure the results on paper to find the contrast range for each setting.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin