Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,935   Online: 787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Philips PCS150

Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    I have one of these, along with the conversion kit they sold to mount it on my Omega D5. I found the acrylic light piping they used for efficiency a bit uneven on color mixing and ended up making my own box to hold the light source above the condenser housing. It was slow for Cibachromes from Kodachrome, but good for printing on Ektacolor papers. I haven't tried it since the R4A papers came out, but am thinking about trying some room temp tray processing with it.
    I can't speak to its use in an Omega D5, but in the Philips PCS130 enlarger, it's plenty bright enough for use with modern RA4 papers. For making 8x10 prints, I often have to dial down all three lights (100+ "filtration" on each channel) to get printing times in the 10-20s range with apertures of f/8 on a 50mm lens from 35mm negatives. "Filtration" has to be quite extreme to print smaller sizes.

It would probably work well for split filter VC printing using only the B and G lights.
    I turn off the red light when doing my B&W printing -- those bulbs are fairly expensive ($15-$35 apiece), so I don't want to burn the red bulb unnecessarily! I've never tried actual split-filter printing with it, but I'm sure it would work well with that technique.

If I run across a good complete MF Philips enlarger with this light source, I'll probably buy it.
    They turn up on eBay with some regularity; you could set up a search with e-mail notification if you're more than idly interested. Just be sure you get one with all the accessories you want; the model's been out of production for ~20 years, so finding condensers, negative carriers, etc., can be hard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    They turn up on eBay with some regularity; you could set up a search with e-mail notification if you're more than idly interested. Just be sure you get one with all the accessories you want; the model's been out of production for ~20 years, so finding condensers, negative carriers, etc., can be hard.
    I'm not that hard up for one for a couple of reasons, I already have one light source for the D5, and the MF Philips goes either 6x6 or 6x7 max, and I shoot a fair bit of 6x9 in folders, a Fuji 690, and roll film backs. So it would mostly be for 35mm, and then the two advantages would only be a dedicated color enlarger and the perspective correction movements built into the Philips chassis. It takes about 5 minutes and one thumbscrew to change the D5 from condenser/diffuser B&W to the PCS-150 color head. Most of that is getting the controller out of the box and onto the enlarger table.

BTW, I've been thinking about trying the MR-11 LED lamps from http://superbrightleds.com/bi-pin.html in the PCS-150 head. I just need to make sure the electronics are compatible (proper dimming and range) and the passband on the dichroic filters match well. You might also set up these lamps in your own mixing box and run them off the Philips controller.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    BTW, I've been thinking about trying the MR-11 LED lamps from http://superbrightleds.com/bi-pin.html in the PCS-150 head. I just need to make sure the electronics are compatible (proper dimming and range) and the passband on the dichroic filters match well. You might also set up these lamps in your own mixing box and run them off the Philips controller.
    I've considered that, too, but my understanding is that the dimming function would probably not work very well. The response of LEDs to dimming is very different from that of halogen bulbs, so at the very best it'd still work but the calibrations on the dials would become worthless, and at worst the dimming would be so erratic the whole setup would be useless. My investigations also turned up big question marks about bulb life, brightness, and color frequency matching of bulbs to paper (for blue, IIRC).

That said, using LEDs as light sources for enlargers makes some sense, at least if bulbs with the right color output can be found. If I had appropriate electronics knowledge and time, I might look into using these bulbs in the PCS150 light source and replacing the control unit with one custom-designed "from the ground up" to use the LEDs. Sadly, I lack the necessary skills and time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I see from the German magazine link above, that the price for the 4x5 Heiland light and timer combination now stands at 1,998.00 Euro's ($2,998.00 Canadian)...yikes!

Murray
    You didn't mention enough light intensity to print all the current medias in a resonable time at reasonable enlarger lens f/stops. The Zone VI VC head was a good concept but lacked signifigantly in light intensity. Also as mentioned Zone VI has dead ended with Calumet...! My unit never worked consistently and is on its way back for yet another stab at fix. Another head that had great potential and is no longer was the Beseler/Minolta 45A which is quite non convential using strobe light source but was precise enough and repeatable enough to do dye transfer work including color seperations and Matrix film exposure. Since my Zone VI is gone I am enjoying using it again. It certain has no problems squeezing every bit of rint tones out VC papers. the Heiland sounds great but I am a bit dubious about new technologies that have not stood some test of time, espacially when they come with high price tags! I certainly would be looking into whether the company will be around to stand by its product and its willingness to do so.

Miles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If all you have is Lemons then make....

I am going to take one of my two Beseler dead heads and convert it to LEDs.

The list of options would be more than enough for my uses. A diffusion light that doesn't use tube bulbs and has a long stable life with consistent color output. VC would of course be the best. I just have to get way up to date on my electronics.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I see from the German magazine link above, that the price for the 4x5 Heiland light and timer combination now stands at 1,998.00 Euro's ($2,998.00 Canadian)...yikes!

Murray
    Photography is not for the faint of wallet.
    (source unknown)
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Images
    Ralph, Maybe that should be, Technology is not for the fain of wallet. I don't know how much this is photography or a case of 'greener pastures'. It seems like a good idea because LEDs are nice and wouldn't a new light source be fun. It would solve all our problems.

If that we the case, then why hasn't the Calumet LED source taken the world by storm? Why aren't my neighbors buying them? They are expensive and it is difficult to get very high contrasts from them (not blue enough). The blue can be fixed with expensive LEDs. Expense is a bugger. Darkroom light sources is not a thriving market. I'm surprised anybody has gone this far with them. I wouldn't want to be the first to buy one and what should happen if it breaks. Who will fix this light source in 10 years?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One thing I have learned over the past few years is that after all is said and done, the technology and expense , become less and less important as your personal artistry and craftmanship becomes better and better. The wallet and the technology mostly aide expediency.... (Sorry , I was feeling a little "Weston-ish")

Miles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    If all you have is Lemons then make....

I am going to take one of my two Beseler dead heads and convert it to LEDs.

The list of options would be more than enough for my uses. A diffusion light that doesn't use tube bulbs and has a long stable life with consistent color output. VC would of course be the best. I just have to get way up to date on my electronics.

Curt
    I have a dead Beseler 45S also and would be interested if you could share your plans. I am pretty inept at this sort of thing but it seems potentially convenient because it will certainly fit.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    If you need electronics advice, please ask. I'm sure there are others here who can help out too.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin