Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,526   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermometers...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Thermometers...

I have a few thermometers, some digital some analog, and im wondering what you guys use?
    I have had 3 digital thermometers break, one wont turn on, even with a new battery, one stays at -49C and one is off by 10C. These are all high quality ones from the food industry
    I have 2 analog thermometers, one stick style and a dial style one.
    I use the dial one cuz of its speed.
    So, what thermometers do you use?
    I do B&w development
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of the time, unless I'm using the JOBO machine, I use my left index finger...

I have several exellent thermometers, even a digital one somewhere. But I know exactly how 20C feels on my finger, and I seem to be accurate to within less than half a degree. That's close enough.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    My luck with digital therometers has been similar to yours so now I only use analog dial ones. I also have a Kodak mercury process thremometer to which I adjust all others.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had trouble with analog dial thermoters, and now sometimes use spirit or mercuy (don't tell the environmentalists!). Usually I try to keep chemicals, wash water, and film tanks at room temperature, and just look at the wall thermometer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a lab type spirit glass thermometer, something like this
    http://www.bestlabdeals.com/Thermome...chemmp1248.htm

At least it dependable, and I never have to worry about the batteries going dead.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have two Kodak Deluxe glass thermometers. One is my working thermometer, the other is a spare in case I drop the first. These are alcohol, not mercury, thermometers and are claimed to be accurate to half a degree. They've been the best I've ever used, and should never drift in sensitivity. I still see them new at B&H.

I had a stainless dial-type for a few years, yet somehow (unknown to me) the stem came loose which caused the needle inside the case to spin freely. Didn't know it until I developed a batch of negatives and they came out virtually clear. N-9 developing, anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to get one that can take stirring better than my cheap ones.
    /matti

Shooter
    35mm
    I consider temperature a key component in the processing cycle. A change in the temperature changes the total complex chemistry of the developing process. While I may be extreme in my thinking the results speak greatly for keeping those temperatures in check.

I do trust my Kodak Process Thermometer to keep everything in order. In addition I use several Kodak glass type thermometers after making sure they are calibrated with my Kodak Process Thermometer.
    [COLOR=Lime]Let Kodak Go Now[/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a cheap digital I bought at a surplus store about 10 years ago for about $3. It has a long stem on it perfect for reaching into tanks. The dang thing is spot on to my Kodak lab grade mercury thermometer. Go figure.

So I use the digital and check it once and a while with my mercury glass thermometer.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have never had any reliability problems with my digital pH meter (which also does temperature) - its a lab one but wasnt expensive (and useful for other things too, like stopbaths, and cheese making). Though I dont tend to measure much. Unlike my digital timer which has died, unclear if its a battery issue or more serious. Think I need a nice analogue stopwatch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin