Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,590   Online: 909

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Thomas Duplex Super Safelight

A question for those who have one, or who have used one.

I bought one of these on ebay, and it came with filters in the swinging
    "door frame". These filters were red and had red tape around the
    filter. I noticed too, however, another filter just below the swinging
    door sitting in the 'framework'; in the unit body itself. This filter was darker and had yellow
    tape around the edges.

I went on B&Hs web site and they have replacement filters, with
    red, black, yellow, green and blue edges. It wasn't clear to me that
    the filters that were in the framework below the door belonged there,
    or were there for ease of shipping. So my questions

1) Are there supposed to be 2 sets of filters in the safelight; one in the door and one in the unit/framework?

2) If not, isn't it harder to control the light if there is no filter between the [open] door and the bare bulb?

3) From reading B&Hs site, it would appear that the yellow edge,
    and then red edge, are the best for standard B&W work. Is this
    true? What have you have you found to be best?

4) Any other input is appreciated.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    You need both filters. The yellow ones are for B&W printing, and the red ones for Ortho printing. As you note, the top filter that swings away throttles some of the light. I use mine completely shut, and still add a cardboard flap to further reduce the light. The Thomas safelight gets brighter after several minutes use, so wait to do a safelight test. I find mine very bright in a smaller darkroom (about 10 x 17 feet).
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you saying that the unit has red filters in the base and yellow in the swinging windows? I have a Thomas sitting up in my darkroom but have not used it. I have a separate OC and a Red, ortho safelight I use. With the Thomas I would have to change the filters or are you saying you open the wings for one and close them for the other? The units are heavy, lights expensive, filters expensive, but really bright. I haven't had the courage to put it into use yet. After I bought it I wondered why I did, do I really need it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just FYI, I keep my ortho doors closed all the time. In my darkroom that's plenty of light (with the ortho filters lifted, I could read the newspaper). I do this mainly because I fog paper with them open and don't with them closed.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As Lee had pointed out as an idea, he has placed ruby lith in the filters to further reduce light output and spectrum.

I will be doing safe light tests with the new material this weekend.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Are you saying that the unit has red filters in the base and yellow in the swinging windows? I have a Thomas sitting up in my darkroom but have not used it. I have a separate OC and a Red, ortho safelight I use. With the Thomas I would have to change the filters or are you saying you open the wings for one and close them for the other? The units are heavy, lights expensive, filters expensive, but really bright. I haven't had the courage to put it into use yet. After I bought it I wondered why I did, do I really need it?
    The yellow-tape OC-type filters are in the base, and the red-tape red-ortho filters are in the openable flaps. I keep the flaps closed, filtering the light through both filters, and still the light is too bright. So I add cardboard flaps covering about half the openable flaps. With both filters, you should be able to use it for both regular paper and ortho. It is very bright, and you can not turn it on and off with a timer, because it needs to warm up. I sometimes wonder why I got mine, too.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    I've heard so many things about the Thomas that it seemed to be the only one to buy. This may be a silly question, but what if I added another filter in the unit, essentially doubling it up?

I tried this and it appears that there is enough clearance in the unit to allow for 2 filters in the unit and the door (with another filter in the door) still closes comfortably.

Of course, that costs money. Am I just better off making a cardboard mask to reduce light output?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The yellow-tape OC-type filters are in the base, and the red-tape red-ortho filters are in the openable flaps. I keep the flaps closed, filtering the light through both filters, and still the light is too bright. So I add cardboard flaps covering about half the openable flaps. With both filters, you should be able to use it for both regular paper and ortho. It is very bright, and you can not turn it on and off with a timer, because it needs to warm up. I sometimes wonder why I got mine, too.

Eric Summerfield

Thank you, that's the most clear explaination and I really didn't know how to use it until now. Thank you Eric!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought a Thomas safelight off Ebay recently. Mine has yellow filters. Did a safelight test with Kentmere FP VC paper this weekend. I flashed the paper with the subthreshold exposure from the RH Designs paper flasher and then exposed the paper to the safelight at the average distance for 7-8 minutes. Major fogging. I had the windows of the safelight mostly open so it was very bright. I did not have time to test it with the windows down.

My darkroom is 8 x 16 feet and I placed the light in the far corner, near the ceiling, with the light bounced off the white ceiling. Will probably need to close the safelight windows to greatly reduce the light output. Too bad. It was so bright in there.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the opportunity to purchase a Thomas Duplex used at a reasonable price. It would be for my 6x12 darkroom (still under construction).

I've read the comments on wait time to reach steady brightness and that it may be too bright - at least with the doors open.

But is a lower watt bulb an option? As I understand, the standard Thomas-supplied bulb is 35w. I don't know if the Thomas bulb is proprietary (wouldn't think so but who knows). This site shows a number of sodium vapor bulbs with what I understand is the proper base, including an 18w:
    http://www.bulbs.com/Category-/resul...lpartial&Nty=1

Any experience with using a different bulb? Does anyone know the specific bulb type (including base) required? I have not been able to find a manual for the safelight online.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin