Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,576   Posts: 1,646,798   Online: 1035

Shooter
    Medium Format

Filing a negative carrier. Words of wisdom?

Hello fellow analogers. I have metal femomasks and I want to file them down a bit on the edges so that the negative borders appears in the print and I get a nice bit of diffusion fall off to white (ie no, i do n't want to use a larger masks and have perfectly straight edges). Before I butcher my enlarger, does anyone have any tips such as what kind of file to use etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And happy New Year everyone, stear clear of the megapixel in 2007!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe1 View Post
    Hello fellow analogers. I have metal femomasks and I want to file them down a bit on the edges so that the negative borders appears in the print and I get a nice bit of diffusion fall off to white (ie no, i do n't want to use a larger masks and have perfectly straight edges). Before I butcher my enlarger, does anyone have any tips such as what kind of file to use etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated. And happy New Year everyone, stear clear of the megapixel in 2007!
    Depends on how rough a bodge you can put up with. Some of the edge filing in www.rogerandfrances.com is at the limit of my tolerance. I used a triangular file, about 1/4 to 1/3 inch or 6-8mm on a side.

Draw the new margins carefully with a pencil and DO NOT GO BEYOND THEM. File knife-edges (diagonals on the opposite side from the negative) and clean up CAREFULLY with the same file and emery cloth before using the holders: you can feel rougher edges than you can see. Use matte black paint if needed, but a flat near side and diagonal far side are better:
    _______________________________\
    ________________________________\ Holder
    ______________________________________________NEGA TIVE
    ________________________________/
    _______________________________/ Holder

But generally, any filing and the negative all-in is better than no filing. After all, you can always use the masking frame to lose the filing and still get everything in.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Roger

I would recommend a glass carrier before enlarging a cut out. The bigger the hole, the less flat the neg.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin