Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 952

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not try the Darkroom Automation meter & timer? The only way you are going to find something better is to try something new.

Total risk is $7 to ship it back if you don't like it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Another vote for RH Designs. They really are superb. I've got the Analyser Pro and love it.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    RH Designs also have a money-back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied. Personally though, after the first printing session you'd have had to pry it from my cold, dead hand...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm also looking at this company, but was considering the Analyser Pro for its metering (which I think would be extremely useful). Everybody here seems to think the straight timer is sufficient- what am I missing (other than knowledge, skill and experience )?

Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Why not try the Darkroom Automation meter & timer? The only way you are going to find something better is to try something new.

Total risk is $7 to ship it back if you don't like it.
    Nicholas,

How does your timer differ from the RH one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Nicholas,

How does your timer differ from the RH one?
    Nicholas:

Don't get too discouraged by this thread - I too am quite interested, and would be happy to know more.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Nicholas:

Don't get too discouraged by this thread - I too am quite interested, and would be happy to know more.

Matt
    Yes, definitely- I too am wondering this, and would like to save alot of money (it's what- half the cost for us in N. Am.?)! To me the RH system seems easier to use (and calibrate- it comes with a kit) because it is all right there for you to see (nice flashing lights, more buttons to use, etc) so you don't have to try to remember numbers/values as you are making adjustments. Essentially, is the Darkroom Automation meter/timer as versitile as the RH, and can it act as a densitometer?

Tim
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A comparison of the features, advantages, and benefits would really be a big help. Hope you do it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is some information posted by Nicholas (using the nick "nolindan") on this thread - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...-timers-7.html

I've linked to the appropriate page where the discussion of the Darkroom Automation timer began. For anyone interested in discussion of the RH Designs timer on its own then jump back to page 1.

Hope this helps,

Frank
    Last edited by FrankB; 01-05-2007 at 03:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    I'm also looking at this company, but was considering the Analyser Pro for its metering (which I think would be extremely useful). Everybody here seems to think the straight timer is sufficient- what am I missing (other than knowledge, skill and experience )?

Tim
    I went for the Analyser Pro rather than the Stopclock Pro for a number of reasons.

I was probably a beginner to intermediate skilled printer and one of the hardest things I found was working out the correct exposure and paper contrast for a print. From a test strip I found it very difficult to see which strip was "right". I knew when I printed the whole image that it was wrong, but I just found it very difficult to work out how to correct the problem.

The Analyser Pro has helped me enormously. It tells me what paper grade to use to get the full range of tones in my print. It also gets me very close to the "correct" exposure. I still need to tweak things to get the final print, but the Analyser Pro gets me there much faster, less hassle and much less wasted paper.

Now if I was an intermediate to advanced printer who can just look at a negative or test strip and know pretty much what grade and exposure to give it then I would be looking at the Stopclock Pro. It's particularly useful if you do complex burning and dodging sequences, and it's superb for split grade printing as it has two timer channels.

The Analyser Pro has some of the features of the Stopclock Pro, for example it has the great test strip mode. Timing burning and dodging sequences is easy, but it's not as comprehensive as the Stopclock Pro. The Analyser Pro has only one timing channel.

So, if you're like me, a beginner/intermediate printer who needs a bit of help getting a good work print and who does fairly simple burning/dodging sequences then you'll find the Analyser Pro superb. However, if you are an advanced printer, into split grade printing etc., then go with the Stopclock Pro.

There's lots more info in past threads and on RH Designs website. Or pm or email Richard for help.

Cheers

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin