Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,736   Online: 811

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Digitaltruth meter and F stop timer

I have returned to the dark room after an hiatus of over 55 years and an intervening career as a medical doctor. My dear wife made me a present of a used-but mint-Durst 1200 with a color head ( at a price that was too good to pass up! ), and now the task is to decide if one should persist with the older test strip method of determining exposure, or if one should consider the "F stop method" of determining the "correct" exposure whilst enlarging. I will be using VC paper of course, and only developing and printing black and white images. I have a small but service-able darkroom. It is likely that the skill to create images such as have been exhibited here will be difficult to attain; however, my goal is to create prints that will accurately and admirably present the images that are captured. I will start with 35mm, and increase the size of the format(s )as my interest and skill increase. I mention the preceeding facts as an introduction to the following.

A search of timers, and of this thread, yields evidence of the wonderful reputation of the products developed and sold by RH Designs. I note, however, that digitaltruth also markets a timer and exposure meter for F stop printing, and that the product (s) is ( are ) covered by a wonderful warranty and is/are somewhat less to purchase then the RH Design products. Hence my query: I wonder if any on this thread might have used the digitaltruth products, and if so might they be kind enough to comment on the ease of use of such products ( I realize that F stop printing using a meter and timer has a definite learning curve ) and the quality of build and support of such products.

As an aside, it is so interesting to see the continuing use of film and the dark room even as digital photography gets all the public atttention. Moreover, it is refreshing to see a group of individuals so willing to take the time to help one another in the pursuit of common goals.

Edwin Mahler

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Buy the RH Designs timer from the link on this website. They will ship it from England. While you are at it get the paper flasher. That is exactly what I did. The timer, next to a good enlarging lens, is the most valuable darkroom equipment I have.

After a 55 year hiatus, you don't have too much time to figure it all out! I was in a similar but somewhat younger boat getting back into the B&W darkroom mode for the past 1-2 years.
    Jerold Harter MD

Thanks Jerold. I am indeed leaning towards the RH Design products. Thanks for the advice about the flasher.

As to the amount of time left to learn...well, I have also gone back to piano lessons so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ( not while playing any scales though!! ) :}

Edwin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another delighted RH Designs customer here.

I have the StopClock Pro and would not be without it. An excellent piece of kit, very well designed, very well built and with excellent functionality. The amount of thought that went into it really shows. Worth every penny.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    35mm
    The RH StopClock pro is a superb piece of kit. The f-stop method of printing is easy to understand and makes sense from a photographic point of view. I'm sure you'll get many more testaments from RH users.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    RH designs stop clock pro - indispensible.
    I usually demo it on my workshops simply because it makes so much sense (
    I have no financial connection with RHD) - everybody wants to buy it once they see it working.
    Tim

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the RH Designs StopClock Pro and love it. I don't know how I ever printed without it. I too have the flasher.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another vot for the RH products. Good support as well...

Jaap Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Thanks Jerold. I am indeed leaning towards the RH Design products. Thanks for the advice about the flasher.

As to the amount of time left to learn...well, I have also gone back to piano lessons so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ( not while playing any scales though!! ) :}

Edwin
    Edwin
    The RH Design Stopclock Pro is it for me. It's features for teststrip, burn in, split printing, dry down compensation etc are indispensible to me now. In addition Richard Ross is a fine fellow to deal with. And buy the flasher while you're at it, then you won't need a second enlarger till next Christmas.
    Mark (63)
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's another vote for the RH Design Stopclock Pro. I love mine, and Richard provides excellent customer service. If mine broke, I'd immediately get it fixed or replaced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin