Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,057   Online: 780

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I prefer glass. It's the difference between sharp and SHARP.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Images
    Good Morning,

Can any glass carrier keep film any flatter than a Beseler Negaflat carrier? I have trouble imagining how, so glass, to me, would just be extra surfaces to keep dust-free.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glass, glass and then try Glass. I have used both and the dusts issues is a non issue for me as I like to do fewer great prints than mass produce drivel so I dont mind spending the time getting things clean. AN glass sorts Newton rings. Glassless carriers are less hassel bu the film is not flat and boy can you tell esp with large ennlargements where DOF is narrow and you cannot stop down too far due to exposure times. I never use glasssless any more.
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 01-08-2007 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll echo Tom's post above...... My glass carrier yields the best results.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I'll echo Tom's post above...... My glass carrier yields the best results.
    Eric, nice name. Alaska! Must be beautiful there.
    I have a glass carrier and recently got the AN glass from fpointinc. Haven't used the AN glass yet. But cleaning the carrier and leaving it in a bag is a good idea. I wrap mine in a domke wrap. But it does seem a little sharper than non glass carrier. Just my opinion. It does slow one down a lot though but I only do a few prints at a session anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mick - thats really interesting about the DeVere and speed - I was chatting to the people at my local lab the other day and they still use at least 3 or 4 DeVeres and so quite a lot of black and white and colour hand printing. I mentioned somehting about glassless carriers and they immediately started saying "no no no you dont want any glass" which ties in with your experiences and commercial production requirements.

Thansk everyone for the input. Leon: my carrier is I believe pretty much the same as the 504 version with drop in inserts up to 5X4 - the 5X7 has its own carrier which is glass.

So I think that I will be sourcing some glass inserts for larger enlargements and more critical work, and use the glassless ones for when I churn out wedding prints and other work where high volume is necessary.

Thanks,
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Mick - thats really interesting about the DeVere and speed - I was chatting to the people at my local lab the other day and they still use at least 3 or 4 DeVeres and so quite a lot of black and white and colour hand printing. I mentioned somehting about glassless carriers and they immediately started saying "no no no you dont want any glass" which ties in with your experiences and commercial production requirements.

Matt
    The reason why labs dont like glass is it hugely slow them down as you have more surfaces to clean. This makes a huge difference to productivity and therefore how profitable your business is! In terms of results, there is no centest, glass holds the film far flatter and this does result in sharper prints, period. If you want the sharpest possible prints, you will only achieve this with a very flat neg and glassless simply cannot deliver this. The downsides are, as stateed before, dust and Newton rings, but these can bde dealt with by keeping the carrrier and glass in a sealed container when not in use, gettig a good antistatic brush and using anti-newton glass to prevent rings. I use my AN glass on top (touching the shiny side of the film) and clear below. I do not have a problem with newton rings or dust. I dont think there are many top fine art photographer-printers out there using glassless carriers if their work needs resolution across the image. If you are printing holga shots you might not notice, but if printing 120 or 35mm negs to a decent size you most definitely will. I have used 3 different brand of enlarger and use glass in all now as none have glassless carriers that hold film nearly as flat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with pretty much everything Tom said above, but my issue with glass is also a matter of throughput. I am not doing fine art, I'm making thousands of archaeological record shots a year and the glass just slows me down. I find the loss of quality minor (even when you look for it) up to 8 x 10 although, as I said in my last post, I do bring the glass back when I make big prints. I don't do many of these, so the time is less of an issue, whilst the quality difference is more visible. By the way, I've not seen a Newton ring since the 1980s. AN glass really is wonderful stuff.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm reading this with interest. May I ask some questions? Thank you.

Whether using a manufactured AN carrier or making one's own, the AN glass goes above the negative, at the base side, correct?

If I were to use a manufactured, Beseler AN carrier for film sizes "up to 4x5," I should mask off the carrier when using smaller film, yes?

If I make my own, from two sheets of glass, I'd use regular glass below, AN glass above and I should a) mask for film format and b) tape off the edges of both pieces of glass, right?

It is recommended that something, perhaps tape, be used to create a gap between the two panes so that there is not tight contact between the AN glass and the base side of the film, true?

I have an idea for a homemade carrier with seperate "bottoms" masked for different formats, where the masking also creates the "shim" between the panes...where all the bottoms share one AN "top". Decent idea?

Shooter
    Large Format
    It all sounds good to me. I made a glass carrier and used a black paper mask, with the opening slightly larger than the image, and place it above the neg. This serves to space the top glass off the neg and I have no problems with NR. I have found an Anti-Reflection glass like Denglas works fine as the top glass.
    —Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin