Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,341   Online: 970

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Edward Weston

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Shoot, I wanted to get an enlarger just like Edwards. OK then, does anyone know what lens that is on the Korona? 11X14 Gundlach Radar?
    Jim, I am surprised you don't know this is a Graf Variable. I have forgotten the focal lengths. In the original print it is possible to read the info on the rim of the lens.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had to rare opportunity to stand in Edward's darkroom and is was a magical experience for me. A small table with a light bulb hanging over it. I laid my hands on his contact printing frame and hoped that some power my come from it. I have admired his prints for years, and to see his crude working space was an unbelievable sight. I am now more amazed by his work than ever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like someone is looking for magic dust. I think Weston just worked hard.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The video The Roots of California Photography: the Monterey Legacy (available in DVD) includes Kim Weston demonstrating Ed's darkroom. The ease of contact printing is offset by requirements for creating a good in-camera negative - a painful learning process for me.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im reading the Daybooks and he repeatedly says he will enlarge so I asked the question. I just looked in the back of the book at in a section called EW's technique and found out how he enlarged smaller negatives.

He grew fond of the 3 1/4 4 1/4 Graflex while in Mexico and to enlarge the negatives an enlarged negative had to be made. First an 8 x 10 inch glass positive was made from the smaller negative. From this he made a new negative and then contact printed onto platinum and palladio papers until he returned form Mexico to California where he settled on glossy chloro-bromide papers which he contact printed.

I am aware of his simple setup for a darkroom and the single light bulb hanging from the ceiling. He used the Sun to print with also. My next question is did he use his camera to make the enlarged glass positive? It would make sense since no "enlarger" is mentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a good question. There were various kits to turn Speed Graphics into enlargers, but I've never seen it mentioned that a Graflex ( the SLR with the chimney) could be used as an enlarger. I guess it could with the shutter in the open position if some method could be arranged to fit a negative holder on the back, but it seems it would be very awkward. More likely that the 8x10 view camera would be used as an enlarger.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, I've always been under the impression that he made the enlarged positive with a camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And no I'm not looking for a magic bullet. I am looking for a more complete understanding of the man and his equipment and the events of his life and the time he was living in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim Galli asked: "OK then, does anyone know what lens that is on the Korona? 11X14 Gundlach Radar?"
    I've examined an original print at the Amon Carter Museum in Fort Worth. You can easily read on the lens itself: Graf Variable 14-16 inch... yes, Eddy loved soft focus enough to be memorialized with his favorite lens.
    Oooh, that should stir it up...
    Russ

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    That's a good question. There were various kits to turn Speed Graphics into enlargers, but I've never seen it mentioned that a Graflex ( the SLR with the chimney) could be used as an enlarger. I guess it could with the shutter in the open position if some method could be arranged to fit a negative holder on the back, but it seems it would be very awkward. More likely that the 8x10 view camera would be used as an enlarger.
    juan
    It is easy to attach a film holder to the rear of a Graflex and use it to project the image. All one needs is some sort of light source, release the mirror so it is up out of the way of the light path, and there is a straight path from the rear of the camera to the lens.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin