Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,678   Online: 801

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SUE-WEEEE!

Shooter
    35mm

Pig jokes aside....

Actually I've used the drug store heating pads for several winters to keep my chemistry at proper temperture and they work just fine. They fit perfectly under my developing trays and with a thermometer resting on the bottom of each tray, it's easy to adjust the heating controls as necessary. Quite a bit cheaper than the "pig blankets". And as for the chemical stains and "odors" that accumulate with use, they just add to the joy of creating in the darkroom. Hey! One of the reasons I don't shoot digital; "I love the smell of fixer in the morning!"

All kidding aside, the drug store heating pad approach really works.

Tom

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    O.K. everybody, I took the bait and bought one of these 60" mats with the thermostat. I got it yesterday, hooked it up and gave it a whirl on 4 water filled 11 x 14 Paterson trays. The water was 64 deg. and the heating mat brought them to 70 deg. in about 10 minutes and seemed to be stable. I am recuperating from a total knee replacement and hope to actually start printing this Saturday and will report on how a whole morning printing session goes, should show any faults in the thing..Evan Clarke

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also want to look at waterbed heaters, which are a bit smaller and in many cases have digital thermostats.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Who said you needed props? I was just thinking you wanted to be kind to those little piglets while you and momma oinker were off enjoying some private time.
    Y'all are seriously sick. I post a weinie, and people go ballistic. Y'all are talking about the whole hog here!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    O.K. everybody, I took the bait and bought one of these 60" mats with the thermostat...
    Hey Evan...thanks for being my guinea pig

Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, I went into the darkroom this morning and printed for about 3 hours. The room temperature was 64 degrees. I plugged the pig heater in, it came up to 69.3 in about 10 minutes and stayed there, I checked it about every 30 minutes..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    When Murray posted this thread , I thought it was a good idea and now that Evan has tested it and it works in production I think this is even a better idea. *Bloody cold here in Canada right now*
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    Well, I went into the darkroom this morning and printed for about 3 hours. The room temperature was 64 degrees. I plugged the pig heater in, it came up to 69.3 in about 10 minutes and stayed there, I checked it about every 30 minutes..Evan Clarke

Images
    Great.

it is a wonderful 60 degrees F here today. it is like some turned winter off.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KenS View Post
    Roger,

In the days when I tied my nikkie-tams below my knees (a bit to the north), A cow was called a "coo", a sow a "soo"... but somehow ewe was pronounced "yow"....

go figger!
    Ken
    In all fairness, aren't you glad a ewe wasn't called "dear"?...

erie

Shooter
    Large Format
    Evan - 69.3 degrees w/ the ambient room temp at 64. How was the thermostat set? Can you set it lower to acheive temps of 67-68 degrees? Thanks for your testing!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin