Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,655   Posts: 1,481,402   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have a large omega d enlarger with a huge/heavy base board.. and i live in a small flat. i picked up a cheap furniture dolly from home depot and set the enlarger on it - presto, it has wheels. i wheel it into the bathroom to do printing when needed, and wheel it back into a 2nd bedroom when it's not. i treat it carefully, so far i havent had any ill effects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Measuring cylinders from a university chemistry department store, and talking timerfs from an electronics shop.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Oil/Transmission fluid funnel and tube from auto parts store to pour developer into my rotating Jobo film tube.

Syringes from my diabetic father to measure out Pyrocat.

Alligator clips from Radio Shack, strung on picture frame wire, over my sink to dry prints and negatives. The alligator clips actually have a hole in one of their 'arms' to thread the wire through.

Microwave oven and Hair Dryer to dry prints, heat chemistry, dry coatings.

Neal

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Be careful not to use a Coke bottle to store developer in case you get really thirsty...
    You're right about that!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    All kinds of things.

I use black poster board as a light blocking material. Black fabric is used in areas needing flexibility. I hung one of the poster boards behind the enlarge to prevent the light rays from bouncing all over the place. This stuff is hung with packaging tape, scotch tape, and even a bit of duct tape. Now that I have gaffers tape, I will use that in the future.

I use clamp lamps for safe light bulbs. I also have a self contained unit that I hung using a spring clamp. (Spring clamps are very useful. Can never have too many spring clamps in the studio.)

Developer is measured using syringes, and plastic measuring cups.

Print developer and fixer are stored in root beer bottles.

I wash my negatives and prints in a laundry detergent container with holes drilled in the side.

Film is hung up to dry from the cloths line with cloths pins. Another cloths pin is attached to the bottom so that it dries straight.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    One gallon windshield washer fluid jugs have great sealing lids and fairly strong walls. I use these to cart off spent fixer to the silver reclaiming system at school.

Stereo sound system with lights taped over.

Large Rubber Maid garbage can, holds a 39 gallon cinch seal plastic bag, with lid to seal in those wondrous fumes.

Two mounted paper towel roll holders. When I had one the roll always ran out just when I needed it most.

Six foot washable rubber floor mat in front of the eight foot sink to ease those leg muscles that don’t like standing on concrete.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Empty brown "forties" for diluted chemicals, I'm raising quite a collection now, and they cost me only the refund price. My cabinet looks like a drunkard's wet dream, though.

Pharmacies have brown plastic 500 mL bottles that I use for short-term storage of chems. They just give them away when you ask for them.

Bricks. I use bricks in my tub atop the bath mat to elevate my washing tray. I hook up my Kodak siphon to the side of the tray, and I need the extra height for the siphon to hang properly.

2" clear wrapping tape for making handwritten waterproof labels. Write the label on a small piece of paper (smaller than the tape) and just tape it to the bottle. You can rinse the spills on the bottle without wrecking your label.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "metal storage cabinet" sold by office supply places.

take the shelves out, run framer's wire ( or anything you may have )
    across the inside and you have the best negative drying cabinet you can
    buy. i am still upset that i had to get rid of mine when i moved

-john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hair dryer
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like David, I use a retractable clothes line and dollar store plastic clothes pins to dry 4x5 negs.

To focus my LPL4550XL when the head is too high to look through the grain magnifier while simultaneously turning the fine focus knob, I use a road bike inner tube slung over the knob. It has enough inherent resistance to not slip off which makes it easy to give the knob a very gentle turn.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin