Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,680   Online: 859

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    A while back, while googling around, I found this thermostat controlled waterproof baby pig heating pad that seems good for placing under trays to keep solutions from cooling off; http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/35600-sue-weeee.html

Today I found this Water Timer; http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...280,33160&ap=1

They (Nelson) also make a model that runs for 5 minutes, then stops for 10 minutes for up to 3 hours; http://www.lrnelson.com/products/model.cfm?MODEL=226

The first water timer would be great for those times you can't get back to the darkroom to shut the water off, and the second one would be like an automated dump and soak wash. Don't know which one I'll be getting just yet, but both would save in hot water bills.

Have you discovered any equipment not meant for darkroom use that's now indispensable in your darkroom?

Murray
    I stated before that I am recuperating form a total knee replacement but having received the baby pig mat I couldn't stand another day without printing. I made chemicals Wednesday and printed last night. I filled the four trays which were to be heated, turned on the mat and then prepped everything else I needed. By the time I turned on the enlarger, the trays were heated nicely to 70 deg. and the thing maintained very well for the next two hours. I purchased the optional thermostatic control which I placed in the developer...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The weirdest non-darkroom thing I have is my "plumber's nightmare" film washing hose that I attach to my kitchen faucet, and to the funnel of my Paterson tank. I cobbled it together from three adapters, 18" of vinyl hose and bit of duct tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails washerhose-sm.jpg  
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I stated before that I am recuperating form a total knee replacement but having received the baby pig mat I couldn't stand another day without printing. I made chemicals Wednesday and printed last night. I filled the four trays which were to be heated, turned on the mat and then prepped everything else I needed. By the time I turned on the enlarger, the trays were heated nicely to 70 deg. and the thing maintained very well for the next two hours. I purchased the optional thermostatic control which I placed in the developer...Evan Clarke
    That's GOOD news!

I use a glycin developer which is happiest when warm, and have to take my shirt off while printing because the darkroom has to be hotter than the developer to keep it at temperature.

Evan, I'm going to be getting a new lightsource and enlarging meter...care to test those out for me too? (Of course you'll have to purchase them first yourself!)

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use a number of things:

• anti-fatigue mats from industrial supply catalog.
    • retractable clothes line (although I never retract it, the spring mechanism on the spool of cord makes it easy to set at any length)
    • Magnetic stirrer
    • Oilless compressor for blowing dust off negatives
    • Vinyl tubing with lab grade quick-disconnect fittings for attaching film/print washers to water supply, or adding a long length hose to fill/clean things.
    • Suede draftsman's weight filled with shot to help position prints when dry mounting
    • Laser level for lining up frames on the wall when hanging prints
    • Large, white polyethylene cutting boards as duck boards in my sink
    • 3000 ml and 5000 ml plastic lab beakers for holding/mixing chemistry (from US Plastics)
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm liking all these ideas because I'm going to be building a new darkroom in a couple months, and need to squeeze as much quality gear out of the money available.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Vinyl tubing with lab grade quick-disconnect fittings for attaching film/print washers to water supply, or adding a long length hose to fill/clean things.
    That crossed my mind too, and found this frugal alternative;

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...280,33160&ap=2

Has anybody tried these? They aren't 'lab grade', so I'm not sure if they would drip from the fitting.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 02-02-2007 at 01:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm liking all these ideas because I'm going to be building a new darkroom in a couple months, and need to squeeze as much quality gear out of the money available.

Has anybody tried these? They aren't 'lab quality', so I'm not sure if they would drip from the fitting.

Murray
    Yes, I have them fitted on everything. I have a kitchen-sink type sprayer, a vinyl hose, a Zone VI washing tank, a Zone VI 11x14 archival print washer and a roll film washer. They all have male brass fittings and my water panel has two female brass fittings.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Has anybody tried these? They aren't 'lab grade', so I'm not sure if they would drip from the fitting.

Murray
    I use them outside and in my darkroom for a freestanding water filter (but I don't have a dedicated wet side water panel). The are also avaiilable at local hardware stores where I live, both in the big chains and in smaller places. All the ones I've seen are brass and have replaceable O-ring seals in the quick disconnect.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the brass quick release fittings on my outdoor garden hoses to attach various sprayers, wands, etc., to the hoses. They work great for that type of intermittent use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've heard tree huggers can be nice, but Ape Huggers (APUG'ers) are the best

Thanks!

Murray

DKT

Murray

i've had some plastic ones hooked up to my tray siphon, various hoses, and my film & print washer. long time ago--I got a set that were made by someone--name escapes me now--but they were heavy duty plastic (orange in color) made for sprinkler system type use. the others are green--think they're made by rainbird or someone like that. you can find them in lowe's or home depot in the garden section...

I guess another non-darkroom thing I've got is a footswitch for christmas tree lights. I have one hooked up to a low wattage lamp over my fixer tray--I mounted the switch on the side of my sink, so I can hit with my knee...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin