Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,438   Online: 1073

CGross

Ilford Ilfospeed 500 Multigrade Head For De Vere 504

I am considering an Ilford Ilfospeed 500 Multigrade Head that is currently on ebay and I am wondering if it would be worth the shipping to get it to the states.

These seem to be somewhat rare, and the first I have seen on ebay with the De Vere 504 mounting kit. I do think the price is reasonable, but shipping this thing may be outrageous.

I have a De Vere 504 with the Dichromat Color Head and the 500W 120V power supply. Would this head provide me any benefit over the color head?
    Does anyone have an opinion/experience with this particular head that may help persuade me to say "Yes, get it", or "No, it's not worth it" !!

I do not have any plans to print anything other than B&W if that helps. At least for now anyways.

The seller states they do not want to ship to the states due to weight, but I have a question off to see how firm that is. If they won't ship to the US then maybe a fellow APUG'er in the UK can get a good deal.

The item number is 130079552173.

Thanks in advance.
    Cody

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have one and can not speak more highly about them as a even light scource and green and bluelight system,I have mine set up with the RHDesign 500 anylser now this combo rocks,why simply downloaded the presets for the anylserfrom Chris Woodhouse site(easily available from the RHD site ) load them on to the anylser channels and you have perfect gd 0 to gd 5 of most of the popular papers kodak ilfors agfa etc fibre and resin test in resin print in fibre and pretty much bang on every time.
    Why all that you must have the 500 multigrade head first I have the manual
    somwhere in my desk search hard for one as they are worth the effort.
    regards
    Barry Treleaven

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for the heads up Cody - I might be interested if you are not

CGross
    It sold...darn!!....anyways, I am still interested in getting a head like this or similar for my 504 and I am still interested in the major advantages of a VC head vs. a Color head when printing only B&W.

From what Barry mentions, it sounds like a it would be a great addition.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymtphotos View Post
    It sold...darn!!....
    ... and not to me - double darn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The light output from Ilform head will be at least 1 stop less than from the colour head of the same wattage (at least compared to Durst L1000). Some people suggest replacing the difusion box of Ilford head with a set of prisms to minimise the light loss. The problem with Ilford head is that much of light misses the difusing box, which has two too small windows to collect the light from the bulbs.

Other than this, 500H is very nice to work with and there is no problem at all if you don't use a slow warmtone paper, like Forte Polywarmtone with Neutol WA.

Joseph

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin