Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,334   Online: 849

Shooter
    Large Format

Omega D-II Alignment and Reassembly Questions

I've a pre-war Omega D-II enlarger and am stumped as to the best way to align the bellows/head/lamp assembly to the enlarger rail. You can adjust this assembly with four 'bars' that each have two plastic bushing. The bars are concentric, you can adjust each one for friction and this tilts the entire assembly 'backwards' and 'forwards'. Too tight and you can't really move the head up and down. Too loose and it's 'sloppy'.

Either way I can't get it right. Any old-hands know of a trick? There must be a very simple and easy way of doing this, i'm sure there was some assembly at the Omega factory using nothing more that a tall wooden box and some string. Argh!

Also, anyone know of a suitable replacement for those plastic well bushings? I've seen similar substitutes at Lowe's and online but they aren't exact. If I had a lathe. Ah well.

I'm using a laser level and mirror for alignment and with the head extended at different heights I'm seeing the 'dot' move unproportionally. These plastic bushings are worn and peeling. I'm sure this is the culprit. So many problems. Anyone had this problem?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Check www.classic-enlargers.com. They sell alignment kits for old Omega enlargers.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do what David said. Not only will Harry sell you a slick alignment level, he will send you good directions, and you can glean all sorts of good information from his web site.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wasn't there an article in PhotoTechniques a couple of years ago about refurbishing and aligning the DII?
    Louie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Phillip,

I think my D-II had little holes drilled through that allow you to use a small bar (I use an allen wrench) to rotate them (I combined it with a basket case Chromega so I'm not sure which parts started where). I snug down the offset axles, rotate until level, then tighten everything up. BTW, you will chase perfect alignment forever. The main beams are not machined to perfection and I'm pretty sure the rollers were less than perfect when brand new. The good news is that you can get it close enough that grain will look sharp all across the print.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've love for the alignment tool, didn't think of that! Neal, thanks for your tips. Mine have holes as well, I am going to try that right now. I think you're right about never getting it perfect. I really wish I had a durst 138. Oh well, this old omega will work just as well. Thanks guys!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just ordered that Photo Techniques magazine, thanks for the tip!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Having just purchased an alignment tool from Harry I can honestly say that it is well worth it, and that you can get the alignment very close to perfect.

The alignment process is incremental and involves the negative stage, the lens stage and the easel. I found it next to impossible to figure out without Harry's instructions. With his instructions and tool I had it done in about 20 minutes.

Good luck,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just got the Photo Techniques magazine in and it is _exactly_ what I needed. Thanks so much!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Is Harry's tool the same as the Omega tool?: A long, flat bar (about 14") with an adjustable bubble level? I bought one of these on eBay but it didn't have any instructions. I would love to see a copy of the instructions.
    Neal

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    Having just purchased an alignment tool from Harry I can honestly say that it is well worth it, and that you can get the alignment very close to perfect.

The alignment process is incremental and involves the negative stage, the lens stage and the easel. I found it next to impossible to figure out without Harry's instructions. With his instructions and tool I had it done in about 20 minutes.

Good luck,

Will

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin