Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,451   Online: 1132

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You might have luck with a local newspaper or other printer. They could have something that's been replaced by digital (it might be too late, though). When my local paper went digital they donated a roomful of enlargers to an art center.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    5x4 enlargers are rapidly going "out of fashion" especially here in the UK! I picked up a LPL 7451 (colour head), wall mounting kit, 2 diffuser boxes, transformer, ALL negative carriers and 4 threaded lens panels from a dealer for £500 UK pounds. The enlarger had seen very little use and parts are readily available as it is (almost) identical to the current model!! The LPL is very stable and despite a noisy cooling fan, shows minimum vibration!! Well recommended!!

I'm trying to find the time to check out the Beseler. I've found a little info on it and supposedly it was a serious model. If it's complete I'll go for I think. It may be older then me but then so are some of my cameras-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd still be inclined to get an enlarger for which there is ready availability of spare parts.

I agree but it's coming with a 3 month warranty. Assuming I buy it. All the various negative holders I'll ever need and a few more. Other then the motors what can go wrong? I'm not used to this class of machine. With my Omega B66 if I don't drop it and manage to break the condensors it should last forever. What scares me about the beseller are the motors and all the features.

Hopefully this weekend I'll give it a look see.

Cheap...well, of course that's relative..but the cheapest will probably be an Omega D series, preferably a D2V. Second-cheap, probably a Beseler 45MX type; the Beselers have been around a while, so I'd avoid the earlier kind that has the support struts in front of the main rails. It can be tough to fit an easel in there.

I recommend Saunders/LPL, Durst (parts can be difficult to find) or DeVere (parts can be impossible to find in the US).

Images
    I bought my Omega D2 (not D II) for $300 including several lens boards, lenses, and neg carriers. I settled on the Omega because I know there are tons of parts for them on the new and used market. I also have a B600 wich has never let me down. I guess you can say I am Omega brand loyal... I use a large lens cone with a 162 mm lens for 4x5, but use the same flat lensboard for my 50mm and 105mm Nikkor's. Eventually I will get a Nikkor for 4x5... eventually
    hi!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin