Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,251   Online: 766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I once owned an Opemus 6 bought in Finchley north of London. The transformer was a custom made 220v/12v toroidal one able to feed a 12V 100W halogen bulb. Not rocket science.... The only difficult part was the box into which it had been put because it used riveted covers instead of screws.... Maybe to obey safety regulations regarding user not able to open the box.
    Anyway, dismount the switch, go to the nearest electrician shop and ask for a replacement. It should not cost you an arm and a leg. Only a leg ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

What does the switch and transformer look like?

Curt
    Hi Curt, Please see attachments. As you can see in the third picture, the switch is going to be easy to bypass.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trans1.jpg   trans2.jpg   trans3.jpg  

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, the transformer looks about like mine, does the label on the side give any information on the transformer maker? Mine turned out to be made by the Chiago Transformer Company. When I was searching I was told that it's cheaper to get a new transformer than to rewind it. I bought one on eBay for $10.00, you have to watch the wattage too. Which model is the enlarger and what is the light source one halogen bulb. I can check here for any parts etc..
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is Teddington close enough for you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Meopta-Opemus-...QQcmdZViewItem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The switch on my power supply (which looks identical to Andy's) has a 25mm square cutout, rather than the 22x30mm one used as standard these days so the Maplin one may not fit as it is 22x30mm cutout.

Probably easiest to just bypass the switch. You may be able to avoid soldering anything as long as the leads are long enough.

We first want to take the wire between the fuse holder and the switch and reconnect it between the fuse holder and the terminal block.
    • Assuming that it looks like it will reach, cut the black wire that goes between the fuse holder and the switch as close as possible to the switch, leaving it connected to the fuse holder.
    • Remove the black wire from the terminal block, cut it off at the switch end and throw away.
    • Strip off 5mm from the loose end of the black wire and connect it in the terminal block from where you just took the other wire out.
    • You should now have black wires going: Terminal block -> fuse holder -> Transformer. There should be no other black wires now.

We now want to remove the blue wire between the transformer and the switch and connect it between the transformer and the terminal block.
    • Cut this blue wire off as close as possible to the switch, leaving it connected to the transformer.
    • Remove the blue wire from the terminal block, cut it off at the switch end and throw away.
    • Strip 5mm off the end of the blue wire now hanging free from the transformer and connect it to the terminal block in the place of the one you just removed.
    • You should now have a blue wire going directly from the terminal block to the transformer with no other blue wires.

Make sure the connections you just made are good (tug on the wires in the terminal block).

Job done. Remember to switch off at the mains in future: a transformer draws current even when nothing is plugged in to it.

If at any time when cutting a wire you hear a ticking noise, run like the wind...

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would use ordinary transformer for houshold 12/100w halogen lamp. Even better, buy stabilized one. It is only important that transformer give proper "food" for your lightbulb, no matter if it is dedicated for enlarger or not
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin