Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,436   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Meopta transformer repair/replacement in UK?

I was setting up my darkroom when the transformer for my Opemus 6 decided to take a tumble. The on/off switch is broken off and beyond DIY repair. I have done a forum search but could find no reference to Meopta spares or repairs.

Do any UK photogs know of anyone who could replace or (preferably) repair the transformer?

Preferably in the South east as it is very heavy and mailing it would cost a fortune!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am not an englishman, so bear with me... I happened to find this while looking for the specifications and pictures of a Meopta 6. Check out the last item in the list:

http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/product...11&getBrand=22
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Meopta agent is: http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/

However I have found it cheaper to buy a second-hand unit on eBay, at least for a Durst unit.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks gents. I already looked at thedarkroom.co.uk, but I figure a repair will be a lot cheaper than £67 for a replacement. That's more than I paid for the entire enlarger kit!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would think any tv/radio repair shop would be able to cope with a repair. The hardest part will be finding a suitable switch.
    Consider bypassing the switch with a connector block and letting your timer switch do the work. Thinking about this, Durst units don't have a switch fitted! Why would you need a switch anyway, apart from the obvious?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Why would you need a switch anyway, apart from the obvious?
    Something I have often wondered too Dave. I'll have the transformer apart this evening and see how easily the switch can be bypassed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy,

I suspect you could get a new switch from RS Components or Farnell. As Dave said, anyone with a little electrical knowledge could probably fit it.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy, I was looking for a transformer for a Beseler head and wrote to many transformer companies without luck. I used to be that a transformer, motor, etc. could be rewound easily and in most towns. No just getting a replacement is like pulling teeth. If it's the switch can you have someone wire in the switch external if it's in the head case.

There must be someone there that can rewind a transformer. Maybe ask some of the older people where you live and work?

What does the switch and transformer look like?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...rmers-u-k.html

Which model is it, I found this thread about a transformer / switch problem.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I was setting up my darkroom when the transformer for my Opemus 6 decided to take a tumble. The on/off switch is broken off and beyond DIY repair.
    Andy -

Go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for GU53H. I think that will probably fit. I have a Meopta transformer here, I dunno if they're all the same but this one has a square white rocker switch. Without dismantling it to check I can't be sure it's a standard part but I would wager it is.

Otherwise as Dave suggests, just bypass it and use your timer to do the switching.

Another alternative assuming you have a 12v 100W lamp is a low-voltage lighting transformer such as Maplin NL48C. I've been using one of these for years and it's a voltage stabiliser as well as a transformer, and weighs a couple of ounces so when it goes wrong it's cheaper to post!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin