Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,653   Online: 931

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have found, in my experience, that Durst does require specific lens boards for specific lenses. They clearly are not a "one size fit's all"...when we move away from their design parameters, the functionality of the design may be impacted...but that is to be expected, I suppose.

I use the glass 5X7 carrier (negla 138 sp?)for both 5X7 and 4X5 negatives.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

if I were you I'd wait until a complete unit comes on the market. Finding those missing parts will be a hassle and/or expensive. I had the luck to buy my 138S from a photographer who had been using it in his LF work, and he had kept it very clean and with care. It came with the condensers (2x240 + 200), lenses (vintage Schneider), two Nega 138 holders with clean glasses etc, spare bulbs and even a Durst original cold light head (LACOLI) that replaces the condensers - allows you to reconfigure in mere seconds. As for the Tripla, it's more important that you get the lensboards you need for the lenses you want to use; changing them manually is also very quick. (I am using a Tripla with lensboards that have extensions built into them, so my Rodagons are OK to rotate too. The same lensboards fit the L1200.) And I paid less than $1000.

BTW I had been looking at a couple of 138's before I came across this unit, and I'm glad I held off - one of the others was in a REALLY poor state; this unit is in pristine condition and a joy to work with.

Good luck!

i'm not looking forward to hunting down all the missing parts—i know how much of a drag that can be. but on the other hand, what are the chances that a complete setup will go on the market close to where i live? it's a difficult decision...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Personally I would not buy one with missing parts, especially the condensors which are required to do anything. I would wait for one with all the condensors required which come along from time to time. I use 2 240 condensors to print 4x5 but it does limit the size a bit.

On my 138s I have mounted a fuji 105, apo gerogon 150 and apo gerogon 210 and they rotate on the triple lens thingy. The gerogons are process lenses but apo to +5 range so that covers all my enlargements.

Just yesterday I printed 2 6x7 negs and the thing is so solid I didn't even have to re-focus after changing negs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin