Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,777   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Vivitar VI Enlarger Dioptic Light Source/Light Pipe

Just got one of these for free. Anyone know where I can get a manual? I have the regular (?condenser or diffusion?) head on now, but I am not sure how to set up the Dioptic Color head.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have this very enlarger complete with instruction manual. I will need to scan and make into a PDF for you. Problem is I am leaving town on a business trip and will not be back until Wednesday night (Pacific Time) so the soonest I could make the copies would be Wednesday or Thursday depending on how late I get back. Let me know if that is OK.

Send me a PM with the email address you would like the manual sent to.

By the way this is quite a nice enlarger

Regards

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    MikeK will send me a manual when he gets a chance, but if anyone else has one to email to me it would be much appreciated.

I placed the color head on, but cannot seem to get the condenser bulb socket out. I guess, by definition, the color head is a condenser as well, but it uses the light pipe as opposed to the direct bulb. The light pipe is lit from one chamber above. I think the light pipe is supposed to light more evenly.

As I was saying, I got the color head on, but I could not pull the socket with the condenser bulb out of the back of the unit. The rails and pulley system gets in the way. Can I remove the socket without taking the entire thing apart? Is there a screw or nut or release that I am missing?

This was my girlfriend's dad's enlarger, and he takes immaculate care of his possessions. With the exception of a little rust on the screws, this enlarger looks like new. I can't wait to fire it up!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Email sent with PDF attachment. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Enjoy your enlargers

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    MikeK is awesome.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The Vivitar VI was an interesting enlarger concept in the late 70s. Our community darkroom has a unused one stored on the floor. It's manual says, "The dioptic light source is a high intensity, cool and integrated light system, designed specifically to convert the Vivitar VI into a universal, color and B&W enlarger. It features the exclusive "Light Pipe" which functions both as a color integrator and a cool light transmitter with over 90% efficiency. It provides a full range of 0-200 color correction units with permanent dichroic filters, allowing simulation of all popular variable contrast, B&W paper grades. Its immediate advantages are reduced exposure times, uniform condenser illumination and virtual elimination of heat at the negative plane.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 03-05-2007 at 09:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: sp
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anyone knows whether this "dioptic" system gives light that is more like normal condenser light or more like diffusion light? Or in between?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Funny, our community darkroom just sold a nice one yesterday. I did not have the opportunity to use it but the light pipe diffuses the image. Underneath the light pipe is a condenser. I bet the contrast is similar to a Leica 1C, softer than a B-22 but harder than my LPL MXL 670 dichro head. I cleaned the Vivitar up for the sale and it is not a bad enlarger.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I just bought and received one in fantastic condition, so I'll soon report...

What a beauty! If it wasn't for the few plastic parts, it would be perfect.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Vivitar is a condenser enlarger. Even with the color head you need to use the condenser lens. To remove the socket on mine you back out two thumb screws and rotate the socket about 1/8 of a turn and remove from the rear. You might need to rotate the head to get the socket to clear the collum. Then you replace the socket with a plastic plug that you shuld have with the enlarger if you got all the parts.

I get beter results with the B&W head and mulit grade filters than I ever did with the color head.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin