Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,038   Online: 937

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Mystery Archival Washer

Hi Folks,

Recently a friend of mine closed their wet darkroom and gave me several pieces of equipment.

One notable item was an 11x14 archival print washer in terrific condition, just about like new. Problem is I have no knowledge of how to plumb the unit.

Briefly the washer has three threaded holes which can be used to connect hoses valves, whatever.

One is a 5/8 inch threaded hole, one is a 1/2 inch threaded hole, and one is a 3/8 inch threaded hole.

So my question is how to rig it for proper use and perhaps identify the manufacturer. A friend of mine here locally speculated it might be a Saltzman.

There are two weirs in the washer, one at each end, but aren't identical in construction. One is open at the top, the other is capped at the top with a slot cut into the top side.

The two larger threaded holes are located on the narrow sides ot the washer close to the top of the unit which feed into each of the weirs. The small hole is located in the lower right corner providing a port at the bottom of one of the weirs.

I've attached some snaps, perhaps that will explain the construction better than my description.

Thanks in Advance,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AW1.jpg   AW2.jpg   AW3.jpg  
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    More pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AW4.jpg   AW5.jpg   AW6.jpg  
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    One more picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AW7.jpg  
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don, The 5/8 inch port is for the overflow/drain. The 1/2 inch port is water inlet. The 3/8 inch is used only to completely drain the unit. It looks like a copy of the Zone VI washer.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    Don, The 5/8 inch port is for the overflow/drain. The 1/2 inch port is water inlet. The 3/8 inch is used only to completely drain the unit. It looks like a copy of the Zone VI washer.
    Thanks Donald. That makes sense. I tried using food coloring to watch the water flow through the unit and that was the one port I haven't tested for incoming water.

Cheers,
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My washer is a Zone VI clone and looks similar. But I use the 5/8 port for the input hose and the 1/2 port for the outlet hose. The input hose is a small size and the outlet is big. The small lower hole is for draining. The location of the 1/2 outlet port sets the water level. That's the way mine came from the factory.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin