Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,740   Online: 1088

Thread: Zone VI washer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zone VI washer

I recently picked up a 16X20 Zone VI washer that had been used and not used for 2 or 3 decades. It is is good condition, however I have a couple of questions.

There is a small inlet on one side on the top for water to enter the washer and a very large one on the other side near the top for it to exit. Directly below this one, near the bottom, there is another small hole, from which water would exit the washer. Is there supposed to be a valve, a stopper or something plugging this hole?

Does anyone have a scan of the oiginal instructions or can they direct me to the instructions on the web?

There is a bit of calcium/chemical/grunge from having been used with Houston city water. Any suggestions on how to gently get this off without scatching the plexi-glas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or information. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That hole is for a rubber stopper of the kind with a brass flip lever that causes the stopper to expand and plug the hole. You can also use the type that has a wingnut that tightens it and expands it.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I recently picked up a 16X20 Zone VI washer that had been used and not used for 2 or 3 decades. It is is good condition, however I have a couple of questions.

There is a small inlet on one side on the top for water to enter the washer and a very large one on the other side near the top for it to exit. Directly below this one, near the bottom, there is another small hole, from which water would exit the washer. Is there supposed to be a valve, a stopper or something plugging this hole?

Does anyone have a scan of the oiginal instructions or can they direct me to the instructions on the web?

There is a bit of calcium/chemical/grunge from having been used with Houston city water. Any suggestions on how to gently get this off without scatching the plexi-glas?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or information. Bill Barber
    See this thread. I had the same questions recently:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/3...al-washer.html

You can use Lime Away to dissolve the calcium stains or you can use liquid dish washing detergent with clorox and gently clean with Scotch Brite or something similar which should not scratch the plexi.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the dividers have been cleaned after having been soaked in a mild general purpose cleaner and warm water and scrubbed with a soft terry cloth wash cloth. They look good. The tank has some areas that I won't be able to access, so the enterior may be more of a challenge, although the exterior is really where most of the problem exists. Any interior, hidden area ideas? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    someone once menitoned denture cleaners (the kind that you soak your dentures in). I haven't tried it, but if my memory is correct, those that did reported good results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my washer the small outlet port has a 90 deg plastic elbow fitting installed. The washer is threaded for the fitting and the other end has a hose barb fitting. A small diameter hose is attached to this fitting. It's long enough to extend beyond the top of the washer and seems to stay in place by hitting the lip at the inside top. Since it's longer than the washer fill level no water comes out when it's vertical. To drain just turn the fitting downward so the hose points down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a 1620 and 1114 Ziv washer- they are different ages, and have different treatments of that smaller hole. The 1620 has a threaded plastic (polyester?) to barbed fitting with a hose coming from that lower hole, with a plastic clamp to reduce the flow of water when draining the washer- very handy. The 1114 only has that flip top metal and rubber plug (a hardware store item) but it is more trouble when draining- the water shoots out of it lat a high pressure & volume- I have a cafeteria tray and my print squeegie glass propped up when I empty that washer to keep the water off the walls and floor. I much prefer the 1620 drain hose set-up, but have yet to manage to retrofit it to my 1114. I don't own the tools to make threads on it, so it is something of a hassle.
    If you don't know- draining the washer is important as it will remain clean much much longer. My 1114 often sat full of water (due to the mess of draining) and has a lot of staining. The 1620 has nearly always been drained after each session and is still nice and clean.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can carve a wine bottle cork to fit the drain port. I find they work better than the rubber stopper that originally came with the washer. I just use dishwashing soap to clean the interior and remove the 'scum' that accumulates. Rinse it well and you're ready to go. Watch out of the edges of the plastic; those on the interior are not finished and you can get a good cut finger on them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin