Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see there is another EG&G Sensitometer on ebay now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/EG-G-PH-10-Mark-...ht_3834wt_1167

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is an old model. The latest ones have 4 buttons and an even later model has an arched or curved exposure plane to give more uniformity. That value listed is way out of sight IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That is an old model. The latest ones have 4 buttons and an even later model has an arched or curved exposure plane to give more uniformity. That value listed is way out of sight IMHO.

PE
    Price is crazy. The one I got at the start of the thread (3 years ago) is the same model...$35

I noticed everything that seller had on ebay also said "or make offer" so I presume he knows he won't get that much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never got around to posting the innards pictures from when I serviced mine, so here they are:
    I have also decided that the regulated power supply is probably due to the transformer being a ferroresonant transformer as there is no electronic voltage regulation circuit present.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got my Mark VI back when EG&G was still doing calibration. They might still be, but around ten years ago I heard the price had gone from $300 to $1200 just for the calibration. That lead me to believe EG&G didn't want to do them any more. But when they did, they would read the exposures, check the electronics, change the power cable, and include new compensators and a step tablet (uncalibrated).

Mine read
    10-2 (.001sec flash duration) = 765mcs
    10-3 (.0001sec flash duration) = 3728mcs
    10-4 (.00001 flash duration) = 60mcs

I always used 10-2 for exposing film because of the lower illuminance and practical exposure time. 10-3 was way too bright and 10-4 might start showing problems with reciprocity.

With the 10-3 compensator, the exposure for 10-2 was 20.3mcs. I then used ND filters to adjust for the different film speeds. I used .6 NDs. They brought the exposures down to 4.78mcs for 100 speed films, 1.18mcs for 400 speed films, and 0.28mcs for TMZ and Delta 3200.

I've also worked with a Mark VII that had
    10-2 = 681mcs
    10-3 = 3440mcs
    10-4 = 59.4mcs
    10-5 = 29.2mcs
    10-6 = 6.85mcs

The manual has a phone number for EG&G, but I also wrote down a number that might be one for the then calibration department. It is (800) 950-3441. They might still sell the compensators. BTW, I talked to EG&G once about finding a meter that could be used for the calibration of the sensitometers. For that kind of accuracy, it would have run around $4000 dollars. There is a lot of good information that can come out of a calibrated light source. It was well worth the $300.00 extra dollars for the calibration.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I never got around to posting the innards pictures from when I serviced mine, so here they are:
    That looks great!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I had not seen this thread before, and I had a question. I use a densitometer occasionally, but never a sensitometer. I read your post about how to use one and I wanted to ask, is this is different than shooting a gray card at various exposures to cover the zones from black to white and reading the film on a densitometer to plot curves? Or is this just a machine that does this for you?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thiis is the most accurate method of getting the characteristic curve of your film or paper.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Thiis is the most accurate method of getting the characteristic curve of your film or paper.

PE
    I can definitely see where it would be more accurate, I was just wondering if the concept was the same.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really. The Sensitometer is calibrated for time and light output and so is more accurate for all purposes. Units like this are used by EK, Fuji and Ilford to test films and papers. Our lab had several EG&G units.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin