Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,678   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Good stainless developing reel?

Wondering if anyone could advise me on a good brand of stainless steel developing reels. I've come across a string of crappy ones and now I'm looking for better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
    Wondering if anyone could advise me on a good brand of stainless steel developing reels. I've come across a string of crappy ones and now I'm looking for better.
    Do a search. You'll find that just about everyone recommends Hewes.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikors have always worked well for me.

Images
    Good Morning,

Hewes first, especially in 35mm; Kinderman an extremely close second, maybe preferable in 120.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hewes is the best I have come across.
    "while a hundred civilizations have prospered (sometimes for centuries) without computers or windmills or even the wheel, none have survived even a few generations without art." David Bayles & Ted Orland Art & Fear

Images
    One of the most trying things about loading SS reels is getting the film started straight and centered. Hewes engages the 35mm film's sprocket holes eliminating this problem. They are also very well made.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One word, Hewes. The best for 35mm. Can't comment about the 120 size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For economy sake, I bought some to the 35mm Kalt reels from B&H that were designated as "high grade". They are surprisingly good quality reels that are easy to load and have held up well for the last year or two. They have a smoother finish and better clips than the cheaper reels. I use the standard grade Kalt reels in 120 and they've been fine for the price. I also like the excellent Hewes reels (I only have one) but they are pricey. Cheap, no-name reels are usually a waste of money.

Here's a link to the 35mm Kalt reels from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Almost any stainless steel reel can be made to work well. If they are bent, they can be straightened. Otherwise, the biggest problem is the clip. If the film isn't well centered when anchored, it probably won't load smoothly. I remove those spring clips. Cutting the end of the film off square and folding it over a time or two anchors it in the reel's core. The film tends to center itself between flanges. This can be checked by feel. This method might not be as convenient as a reel in good condition that engages the sprocket holes, but it works for this cheapskate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin