Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,579   Online: 870

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Brian...

I assume you're printing with a condenser at present. I tend to agree with Carl's note that essentially you will get a very similar diffuse pattern of light with a Dichroic head as with a Cold Light. Like with all things photographic there is going to be alot of opinions on gear. I personally havent found any advantage to using a Cold Light over what I use (Magnifax Dichroic). I've used pretty much every type of light source that there is and I've found that I can make very similar results with any of them with a little futzing around. The spotting thing can be an issue with condensers although it wasnt a huge one for me, but that issue can be easily rectified with 3-4mm thick translucent milk-plexi...its what I did for years...it also helps with neg popping...and it only cost me ten bucks. Anywho something to think about. Good luck with your choice.

Larry D. Horricks
    Prague, Czech Republic
    LD Horricks
    Prague,Czech Republic

Images
    Just won a Zone VI cold light on Ebay for $60! woohoo! I'll have to get the conversion filter if I want to use VC paper, but I'll still be way ahead of the game.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Zone VI coldlight should have a recepticle for the sensor that can then be attached to a Zone VI cold light stabilizer. This stabilizer functions differently from voltage stabilization. With the use of a cold light intensity can fluctuate apart from voltage variances due among other factors the temperature of the source. The Zone VI stabilizer works on a feedback of the measurement of the actual light output from the source. I don't believe that the stabilizer is manufactured any longer, even though it was a very good device. I have one that I wanted to use with my D2 omega, but replaced the enlarger with a Saunders 4550 XLG with variable contrast source. I think that this feature is now an integral part of the cold light enlargers manufactured by Zone VI (as I recall).
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

I just bought the Metrolux II timer from Calumet for my Zone VI enlarger. It sells for $324.00 and the cord to the compensating plug in the head is another $20. dollars. Zone VI sells one also for about the same price but the timer is not digital. OTher than that they are about the same.

If you need the sensor that has to be in the head for this to work it is $70.00. Since the head you bought is a Zone VI I don't think you need the sensor.

Michael McBlane

I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    Calumet, here I come! Thanks guys!

Brian
    hi!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a Metrolux II also. Everything Michael said is true. The Metrolux II is much more timer than a Zone VI. I have used both and regardless what all the Zone VI lovers say their timer is not as good as a Metrolux II timer. You get the time that has memory with 4 channels and straight time. You get a small densitometer and a shutter checker all built in. There is a little device that will adjust your exposure up or down when you need a larger or smaller print. It is a very cool device.

lee

Images
    The Cold Light arrived this evening. I'm not sure if it is the one that works for VC paper or not. The lamp says Aristo W3 and it is a Zone VI (pre calumet). If it is the old version, what Gel filter do I need to get? Anyone got a rosco filter number for me?

Brian
    hi!

Images
    It is actually an Aristo W31

Brian
    hi!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Brian,
    I think that the proper filter would be something like a 40 yellow cc filter. Dont know the number for a rosco filter but someone should be able to help you in that regard. Call Calumet tomorrow and see what they say.

lee

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Brian,
    Did you get the head running to your satisfaction yet? One thing that you will need if you get the Metrolux II timer is the probe. That is installed in the head and will keep the output constant by variying the time according to the output. Very handy. At www. aristogrid.com you can see the new light sources that work with VC papers. I believe that the light source now recommended is V45. Pretty straight forward to install. Don't know the price. Keeps you from having to loose the exposure speed when the 40 yellow is installed.\

lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin