Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,552   Online: 811

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images
    I'm fed up with spotting my prints, and would like the added bonus of easier to print highlight, so I am in the market for a cold light for my Omega D2v. Do I need to budget in for a stabilizer?
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    In a word, YES. Cold light head output is very irregular depending on the temperature of the tubes making almost impossible to make two prints the same. This is even worse if you use VC paper, so save yourself headaches and paper and get a stabilizer.

Images
    Oh yeah, is one or the other brand of lights better for some reason? I believe that the Zone VI one has a life time waranty. And is there a certain type of stabilizer I should be looking at?

Brian
    hi!

Don't overlook the possibility of using a colorhead. Used dichro heads aren't too hard to find for the Omega. A dichro gives the same diffused-light advantages as a cold light, without the stability problems. In addition it allows color printing and the dichro color controls will give excellent results with variable contrast papers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bmacphoto.com @ Dec 14 2002, 10:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Oh yeah, is one or the other brand of lights better for some reason? I believe that the Zone VI one has a life time waranty. And is there a certain type of stabilizer I should be looking at?

Brian</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    I have a Zone VI, when Picker was selling them you had a life time warranty, not any longer under Calumet. If you do decide to get the Zone VI get the timer with with it and you should be ok.

Cem

My experience is different than Jorge&#39;s. I don&#39;t use a stabilizer and i don&#39;t see the need for one in my darkroom. I guess this all depends on a variety of factors: the particular type of head/lamp, temperature and voltage fluctuation. In my opinion, voltage stabilizer is of minimal help, if there is a problem, a better solution is to use one of those compensating Zone VI or Metrolux timers.
    Cem Topdemir

Shooter
    Large Format
    Maybe we should clarify something, a voltage stabilizer wont do you any good. That is the gizmo where you plug electrical apliances etc to prevent fluctuations in voltage, now a cold head stabilizer is inavaluable, the zone VI timer/stabilizer also has a "beeper" or metronome, I can tell just by the lenght of the beeps that sometimes the exposure is longer due to cold tubes, as they warm up the exposures get shorter. So sometimes a second is about 2 seconds, and when hot is about 1/2 second.

So if we are talking about a cold head stabilizer to adjust the printing time it is definitly worth it, a run of the mill voltage stabilizer is of no use, as the tubes will still be either hot or cold and you wont have a way to measure the light output.

Images
    So, Jorge, are you talking about the Zone VI Compensating timer then, or something else?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, but if you wish to get an Aristo head you can get a metrolux timer. They are expensive though.

Images
    Thanks&#33;

Brian
    hi!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin