Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,732   Online: 951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Analyser Pro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With PMK I have no experience, I'm afraid, but you could ask the manufacturers.

www.rhdesigns.co.uk

Good luck
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fhovie @ Apr 10 2003, 06:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>...does this analyser work ok with PMK or DiXactol?</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    It depends on whether you use stain to shift grades on VC paper. The Analyzer cannot determine such shifts, because it is not aware of the light color and has no information to determine grades according to light color. All measurements are done without filter. Filter corrections are applied automatically.
    Since the Analyzer works basically as an ordinary B&W densitometer, it cannot determine the correct stain densities as most B&W densitometers or lab meters cannot do. All this does not mean that you cannot use the Analyzer with PMK negatives. But it requires some training/experience

I wonder whether it would be necessary to use a channel calibrated for PMK/Dixactol negatives? The reason I think this may be the case is because in the Zonemaster manual (basically an analyzer pro minus timer) states that this is necessary for chromogenic negatives. I found this out when trying to print someone else&#39;s XP2 negative.
    Also, I think DiXactol negatives need a slightly harder grade than &#39;normal&#39; with VC papers due to the staining.

HTH

Mark Pope

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Popey @ Apr 16 2003, 10:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>...that this is necessary for chromogenic negatives. I found this out when trying to print someone else&#39;s XP2 negative.
    Also, I think DiXactol negatives need a slightly harder grade than &#39;normal&#39; with VC papers due to the staining.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Mark,

don&#39;t confuse a mask and pyro stain. The mask of a CN or chromogenic B&W negative has overall the same density. The density of pyro stain depends on the base density of the silver grain.

You may need a little correction for chromogenic negatives, because of the special sepctral chrarcteristics of the sensor (of the Zone Master/Analyzer) and your paper. The sensor might not "see" the same brightness as your paper does. This is usually incorporated into the exposure offset values stored in the device. But as light varies (as it does in case of a colored mask), it may become necessary to adjust these values.

re analyzer pro with pyro and Dixactol developed negs.

I have used the AP with 5x4 pyro negs and have had to make a slight increase in the indicated exposure to get the best results using multigrade papers

I also use Dixactol developer with all my 35mm film, mainly Ilford Delta 100 and Delta 400 without any problems.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am currently waiting one of these devices, and have been reading up on how I am going to calibrate it, with as little frustration as possible.

I have a Beseler 45, with an old dg dichro color head. I realize I can arbitrarily choose yellow/magenta combinations, and call them "grade 00, grade 1, grade 4", etc.

Can anyone, with a similar setup, post the yellow / magenta combinations they are using that will give approximate even spacing for the various grade numbers?

I can then calibrate the exposure offsets for these values, as well as what the actual ISO numbers are that they produce.

Also, how many different grades will the Analyzer Pro allow me to program? 5 or 6, or, preferably (given a dichro head) more?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD
    I have a Beseler 45, with an old dg dichro color head. I realize I can arbitrarily choose yellow/magenta combinations, and call them "grade 00, grade 1, grade 4", etc.

Can anyone, with a similar setup, post the yellow / magenta combinations they are using that will give approximate even spacing for the various grade numbers?

I can then calibrate the exposure offsets for these values, as well as what the actual ISO numbers are that they produce.

Also, how many different grades will the Analyzer Pro allow me to program? 5 or 6, or, preferably (given a dichro head) more?
    Hello,

I'm afraid I know nothing about Beseler enlargers/colour heads so forgive me if I'm completely wrong but is the dichro head calibrated to Kodak filter values? If so, you can start with those values recommended by your paper manufacturer for each grade.

The Analyser Pro allows you to enter values for grades 00 to 5, in full grade intervals. So, that's 7 steps. It then calculates the "correct" values for half grade values.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Table from Ilford documentation for MG-IV filtering - according to the doc, Beseler use Kodak values. These give (alleged) equal exposure times for each grade:

[CODE]
    MG Durst Durst Kodak Leitz
    FILTER (max (max Focomat
    GRADE 170M) 130M) V35

00 115Y/0M 120Y/0M 162Y/0M 135Y/6M
    0 100Y/5M 88Y/6M 90Y/0M 105Y/12M
    1/2 88Y/7M 78Y/8M 78Y/5M 77Y/11M
    1 75Y/10M 64Y/12M 68Y/10M 67Y/17M
    11/2 65Y/15M 53Y/17M 49Y/23M 52Y/28M
    2 52Y/20M 45Y/24M 41Y/32M 39Y/43M
    21/2 42Y/28M 35Y/31M 32Y/42M 32Y/51M
    3 34Y/45M 24Y/42M 23Y/56M 23Y/62M
    31/2 27Y/60M 17Y/53M 15Y/75M 14Y/79M
    4 17Y/76M 10Y/69M 6Y/102M 10Y/95M
    41/2 10Y/105M6Y/89M 0Y/150M 15Y/154M
    5 0Y/170M 0Y/130M – 0Y/200M[/CODE]

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Count me as another happy customer. I've had it almost 2 years, and it's a pleasure to use. As stated above, regular use makes it a bit easier, particularly for some of the more advanced functions. One of things I like most about it is the test strip generator, as I can get to a proof print after one shot. I'm certain that it's paid for itself in saved paper. A review of the manual pre-purchase will give you a pretty good sense of it's capabilities.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've already got the "Stop Clock" timer, which is great. I am acquiring an analyzer to use in conjunction with it.

I think that the Analyzer connects to the timer and somehow transfers it's values to the timer. Then, the timer appears to have the capability to add additional burn in "steps", after the initial base exposure.

I have already had pretty good luck using fstop thinking in my printing, usina a chart that someone published on the Internet. It will be nice to program the sequence into the timer!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin