Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,186   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Analyser Pro

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could anybody who has worked with this B&W analyser manufactured by RHDesigns share his/her experiences with this machine? Thinking of buying this analyser but nagged by doubts: is it worth the dough and dies it deliver the goods.

Thanks
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clogz,

I've got one and I love it. It really works as promised and I can recommend it very much. It’s built-in 15 grades step-tablet allows you to make perfect guesses what negative densities will result in which paper densities. You can see how these values change while switching from one gradation to another. So perfect mid-tone separation is at your fingertips while burn-in calculations are just one other button press away, if necessary. No more trial and error printing.
    You can even replace the 15 grades step-tablet with your own (i.e. to match warmtone or otherwise toned prints). Precise and quick calibration procedures help you to set up anything. I even use this device for color printing. There is no doubt: this device was built by a Practitioner and not by a Theorist.
    The only wish that remains for me is an easier way to calculate and handle Splitgrades. It is possible, but it is sometimes hard to tell which tone values become which after switching to the second or even a third grade. And the necessary time difference calculations have to be done by hand, which seems to be computer irony to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Administrators: I would recommend to move this thread to "Darkroom"

I've used the Analyser Pro for a couple of years, and it works well for general subjects such as landscapes, group shots, etc. However, portraits require a bit of work to get skin tones and shadows where I want them. This is because the machine tends toward producing lighter shadows than I generally like. The Analyser Pro manual does point out that portraits are a special case. No doubt you can set up the AP to accomplish whatever tones you like, since the user calibrates the machine for each paper he uses, which allows going for any tones you want at the top and bottom of the scale. And you can set up different calibrations for the same paper to accommodate different subjects. Eight calibration schemes are stored, and I doubt that many of us print on eight different papers. Also, if you use variable-contrast paper and filters, at least Ilford, there's some sort of hiccup in the AP's program that makes the meter's reading for grade 3.5 filters wrong. The manual instructs you to subtract about a third or half a stop of printing time from whatever the meter tells you. This is done simply enough, though, by tapping the time button. (Why is that adjustment not built into the software?) I think the AP needs to be used very frequently, which I don't do, so that the combinations of buttons that must be tapped to invoke its various functions become more habitual and require less thumbing through the manual. I suggest you visit the RH Designs web site and read the AP manual before investing in the device. In general, if I were again shopping for an enlarging meter, I would look for something like the old Heathkit/Mitchell galvanometer device that served me for 30 years until dropping dead in the middle of a printing session. It was simple and totally intuitive to use, since all it did was show the contrast range of the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lemastre @ Jan 4 2003, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>there&#39;s some sort of hiccup in the AP&#39;s program that makes the meter&#39;s reading for grade 3.5 filters wrong. &nbsp;The manual instructs you to subtract about a third or half a stop of printing time from whatever the meter tells you. &nbsp;This is done simply enough, though, by tapping the time button. &nbsp;(Why is that adjustment not built into the software?) </td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Lemastre,

since the RHD-Analyzer allows calibration only to full paper grades. The half grades are interpolated. In the special case of grade 3.5, this interpolation has a little error on certain papers (e.g. Ilford MGIV). This has to do with the fact that the exposure transition from grade 3 to 4 is not linear. The same might happen to a Grade 0.5, but it is hardly visible at these soft grades. The only solution to this would be a calibration to half grades. But this would complicate calibrations otherwise. I prefer it the way it is.

comments to cloqz

I too have an analyzer pro and found it very good to use, for split grade I used to take readings and expose at grade "o" then change to grade "5" and let the analyzer set the new exposure, this method works reasonably well and give good results .

I then adjust the grade "5" to suit my own tastes.

the AP needs regular use to become familular with the controls

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I finally got round to buying myself an Analyser pro and after woking with it for some days I have to say it has surprised me with its ease of use and great accuracy. Worth considering, folks&#33;

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Is this available from anybody in North America or only from the UK?

Only thru the UK. I also recently bought one and have been very happy with it after I goofed around awhile trying to use a new used dichroic head that ended up having washed out filters. I switched to under the lens filtration and it performed flawlessly. I really like being able to use the gray scale and see the effects beforehand.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In a recent view camera magazing, I was stated that staining developers caused negatives that will not read properly with a analyser that doesnt read UV - does this analyser work ok with PMK or DiXactol?
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin