Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 806

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Save your money. Like others have stated you can use an inexpensive kitchen digital that is more then accurate enough. I bought one from target for $16 and had a freind check its accuracy against a scientific digital at the university in town. he said it was accurate within a tenth of a degree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another cheap place is Radio Shack. They have a number of indoor/outdoor digital thermometers. The outdoor part uses a plastic covered probe at the end of a long wire. Just drop the probe into the solution and you can continuously monitor the temperature.
    j

I tested two types of aquarium digital thermometers with probes at a friends store. Three of each type by same distributor costing 25 and 40 dollars, all brand new in stock. They are similar to if not identical to some that are sold at Radio Shack.

They varied in readings by up to 4.5 degrees with no particular pattern. Three of them were within .5 degree of each other and my Kodak 14" mecury thermometer. I don't know about $120.00 digital thermometers but it seems to me that these digitals give one a false sense of accuracy. Besides, isn't consistency more important than absolute accuracy?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For all BW processes, I use the cheapest digital thermometer there is: My left index finger...

After 20+ years of darkroom work it is perfectly calibrated to 20 +/- 0.5°C. I check the calibration occasionally with an analog thermometer, but it doesn't seem to be drifting
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Those cheap kitchen thermometers don't seem any cheaper then the analog ones from the photo shop. I've been considering getting one for colour but I'm guessing I need a little bit of accuracy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Actually I think I'm using either that or an older model for B&W. I'm not sure it's accurate enough for colour.

$15 US is $21Canadian. About. Give or take.

The local high priced photoshop has one for not much more. It's analog but it's also designed for photographic use. Just spent the afternoon dropping my digital into chemcials. I know it doesn't like that-(

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    that is the one I have it is in a very fashionable yellow plastic housing and it water proof.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin