Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,178   Online: 900

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is a "heads up" to those who might be interested. I spoke to Durst last week and they are coming to market with a new 5X7 enlarger that has a new lamp suitable for enlarging negatives onto Azo and Pt-pd. The light source is UV.

Their representative indicated that the heat problem that they experience with that 5000 watt lamp for their 8X10 enlarger has been solved to a great extent. Of course the 5000 watt will enlarge on Azo as well.

The cost for the 5X7 unit is going to be $5,500.00 and is not suitable for typical photographic enlarging emulsions. The 8X10 unit complete is $12,000.00 and if you have a spare 184 enlarger around and want to upgrade it to the higher wattage lamp source the cost will be $5,500.00 for the lamp house alone. I think that you can buy a Lincoln arc welder for a little bit less then that. My neighbors kid could be taught how to strike an arc just as I get the paper on the easel.

So if any of you are really flush and want to contribute to a non profit charitable institution, email me and I will get you my mailing address.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    This was discussed in the Bostick and Sullivan web site as well as pn. I think the consensus was people who do this would rather get a new ULF camera than the enlarging head. I tend to agree, $5000 would buy me a nice Lotus or Canham.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know Jorge...It would probably take a younger wife to carry one of those big cameras for me. And you know how darned expensive they can get to be...the wives that is.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Oh, dn. Wives are not expensive. I have several friends who told me than ex-wives are far more expensive.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie, only present hubby could answer that, I assume. You must have a thing for those Swedish types...Sven????

Now as for me, I am more taken with camera porters named Stacey, Melody, Chrissy... all of them, I will take all of them. Time to go shopping for that 12X20... Stacey can handle the holders, Melody the tripod, and Chrissy that little physical fitness dynamo can handle the camera.

What about me, you ask...Why, I will carry that new spot meter that Aggie told me about.

Later,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wimps! I carry my camera all my lenses and accessories, stobes, power pack and my wife when I go shooting. Did I mention I shoot 4x5 star trails hand held using interneg print film rated at .032 iso and crossprossed in E6?

By the way I know of 4 very fine used dursts w/ lenses that are available:<ul>[*]L1200 w/ color head[*]AC800 Elite with all the bells and whistles[*]HL2500 mural camera with 20&#39; track[/list]They have rodenstock lenses (the HL has &#39;G&#39;s)and mixing boxes for all formates, ps, control panels etc. Email me and if you want more info.

Howdy all...

Yes, it would make a lot of sense to just spend the 5k on a new Canham.

On the other hand...

I have probaboy 25-thousand negatives in negatives from 4x5 smaller, and I would love to be able to print those on Azo, or platinum. Many of them, anyway. I salivate at the thought. I just don&#39;t salivate THAT much.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago I had read an article on the web about a photographer who was also an electrical hobbyist that made his own high output light source for enlarging Azo. He had used a couple of 8x10 Xenon (sp?) tube light banks similar to what is used for animated light displays such as in Las Vegas. Each light board contained something like 40 small xenon tubes. The boards put out over 5000 watts and were pulsed several hundred times a second by a capacitor and transformer setup. If I recall, the pulsing was required so the unit didn&#39;t blow itself up.

Anyway, the author said that the whole thing could be put together with off the shelf parts including the xenon light units for under &#036;2000. He had some listings of vendors and wiring diagrams, but I can&#39;t recall his name or the url. I hope this post might jog someone elses memory who had maybe seen the site.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin