Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,004   Online: 790

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the TAS looks like a fine apparatus, but it lacks temperature control. Right?
    Correct. That's why I suggessted, for B&W films.....
    But the temperature correction is build in the program. It automatically recalculate the right developer time based on the 20 degrees C tables. Also 2 bath development is possible by using the extra external memory card.

But even I use it for C41 development too. I have already a TBE2 and then the Jobo tank is isolated with 3M isolation material which is enough to keep the 37,8 within 1 degrees C during the 3:15min. C41 development.
    With the K54 (C41) kit from Amaloco the allowed temperature range is even wider. I am using the 1520 tank which is then filled with 500ml liquid. 2x 135-36 or 2x 120 roll films.
    E6 will be a problem because this is rather critical.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    humm !
    the same as I been doing trays and Inspection for me
    Gustavo Castilla
    We are not moved by things ,
    but by the views we take of them.
    Epictitus.
    My site
    My flicker page
    Facebook
    Contact

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, my CPE2 has already died once - the heating element went (must be a crack in the ceramic somewhere, although I can't see it - the element started shorting to ground; fortunately earth leakage breaker stopped it electrocuting me :-).)

I disconnected the element from the thermostat and replaced it with an aquarium-type heater. Works absolutely fine; only downside is it takes a *lot* longer to warm up...

(I didn't know if replacements for the original heater element were available - sounds like they are though from what other people have mentioned? Looks like it could be a bugger to fit though, from memory of the innards...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems to be a standard heating element. Same with the sensor: PT100.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Kino
    I would love for you to come to replace a lift arm on a Alt 2300, If you can do it I tip my hat to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    I don't know what everyone is freaking out about.

If you can make your own b&w emulsion and coat it on a base, you can darn well fabricate an automated processing unit on the bones of a Jobo.

The only thing that is gone is the convenience of standardized parts and a dealer network, which appears to be fading anyway.

Why is everyone, other than ben-s, acting as if common electrical and mechanical knowledge is disappearing with Jobo?

Get a grip folks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Kino
    I would love for you to come to replace a lift arm on a Alt 2300, If you can do it I tip my hat to you.
    The ATL 3000 I purchased would not fit in my station wagon, so, with no prior knowledge of how to remove the head, I did so in about 1.5 hours and replaced it without a problem when I got home in a like time frame -- after cleaning it and repairing a small fracture in the tempering bath tray.

I can do it. I can do it for $75 USD an hour plus parts and travel.

Is the lift arm itself broken or is the motor just burned out or can you tell?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Kino
    Whenever a lift arm is replaced on my Alt 3000 or Alt 2300 it is a 7-1200 hundred Canadian Dollars purchase, Omega Sattar does not have these suckers in stock and they have to come from Germany which they quote 90days. Pretty hard to take when we are processing volumes of film every second day.The technician that does the work on my Jobos is factory trained in Germany, it takes him pretty much a full day and is not a pretty site seeing him get to the guts of the machine to replace the lift arm . Replacing the old silicone and getting it ship shape to me is a wonder.
    You must be pretty good in my books , as I have 5 thumbs and have trouble aligning my enlargers let alone replacing parts on my processors.
    The main worry for me is a solid replacement for the Jobo if they stop making replacement parts.
    A lift arm has approx 36,000 lifts. On my main machine I have replaced the lift arm more than 4 times since I bought the unit. I just purchased the Alt 3000 as a secondary backup unit and am in the market for any used alt2300 or alt3000.
    Presently both machines are working*knock on wood* and I have just purchased a manual cpp unit as a backup to our backup.

QUOTE=Kino;510384]The ATL 3000 I purchased would not fit in my station wagon, so, with no prior knowledge of how to remove the head, I did so in about 1.5 hours and replaced it without a problem when I got home in a like time frame -- after cleaning it and repairing a small fracture in the tempering bath tray.

I can do it. I can do it for $75 USD an hour plus parts and travel.

Is the lift arm itself broken or is the motor just burned out or can you tell?[/QUOTE]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Kino
    Whenever a lift arm is replaced on my Alt 3000 or Alt 2300 it is a 7-1200 hundred Canadian Dollars purchase, Omega Sattar does not have these suckers in stock and they have to come from Germany which they quote 90days. Pretty hard to take when we are processing volumes of film every second day.The technician that does the work on my Jobos is factory trained in Germany, it takes him pretty much a full day and is not a pretty site seeing him get to the guts of the machine to replace the lift arm . Replacing the old silicone and getting it ship shape to me is a wonder.
    You must be pretty good in my books , as I have 5 thumbs and have trouble aligning my enlargers let alone replacing parts on my processors.
    The main worry for me is a solid replacement for the Jobo if they stop making replacement parts.
    A lift arm has approx 36,000 lifts. On my main machine I have replaced the lift arm more than 4 times since I bought the unit. I just purchased the Alt 3000 as a secondary backup unit and am in the market for any used alt2300 or alt3000.
    Presently both machines are working*knock on wood* and I have just purchased a manual cpp unit as a backup to our backup.
    Bob,

My prior post was "in general" for the home enthusiast; sorry if it offended you.

The turn of last century produced a flourish of do it yourself books; Boy Mechanic series, Popular Mechanics, etc, that taught the workings of the World and how you could fabricate and invent solutions to problems yourself. That has been replaced with few and far between, anemic publications like "Make" and most people (consumers) cannot be bothered to learn how their World either works or how they can improvise to beat problems that confront them...

It must be a real worry to a commercial lab that doesn't have the time and money to break stride and prototype a new processor, let alone wait for routine repairs.

My mechanical skills come from growing up poor; you fix what others discard so you can make do. It was not a gift, but a necessity, and we all know what a Mother that can be...

It is a uncertain time to be unconditionally relying on systems and businesses based on scales of economy long since passed; the methods of management used by these companies like Kodak and Jobo have been passed by as their markets shrink and are inefficient for the modern marketplace. Sadly, it seems they refuse to modify their methods other than to keep cutting back their critical infrastructure, retaining high paid CEOs and and slowly starve to death.

That being said, most mass produced systems are constructed of off the shelf items that, although it takes a bit of research, can be rebuilt with like type components or alternate configurations IF you get that desperate.

However, now with the proliferation of used machines on the market, you should be snapping them up for spares. They are cheap and fairly plentiful and in places you wouldn't think likely... like my garage...

I bought my ATL 3000 on a whim; won't do that again!

If you want my ATL 3000, PM me; we can certainly work something out, even if you want me to just pull the head, scavenge the rest of the carcass for parts and throw the rest out to save on shipping.

Frank

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    as long as you can get a new motor and heating coil, I don't know what else can really break?
    I've repaired my CPA several times over the years. Besides the heating element, and the motor, I have also had to replace the motor controller card (electronic circuit board, read no user serviceable elements!)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Frank

No offence taken, I was just amazed that someone would be able to tear apart a lift arm, maybe I am getting hosed by my tech.

Sadly, I think all that you say is true, the manufacurers are moving on and we are left scabbing parts and such to keep our processes alive.
    I am in the film processing game until the day I die , hopefully not for another 40 years.I have invested heavily with Jobo products and I will be pissed the day they stop producing the parts.
    I am interested in the unit for parts, pm me your location and price and we should be able to set something up.
    I have designed a film processing unit that would satisfy the bulk of our film and paper processing needs, but unfortunately it is extremely expensive. All parts would be off the shelf in NA which to me is vital, and it would be serviced locally by the tech people we are asking to build it.
    I think within 4years I will be in a position to build it. I can't go into the details as I wouldn't want anyone to scoop my design.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin