Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 785

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Jobo Processors - what will everyone do when his Jobo dies?

Every once in awhile I panic at the thought that my Jobo CPP-2 will die. It makes film processing so much easier that I tend to take it for granted. As I understand it, Jobo no longer is in business. Is that correct? I saw a CPP-2 listed at B&H today for $3300 without the lift! Seems like people are excited about the resurrection of Agfa paper (I never tried it in the first place) but I would be happy if someone could resurrect Jobo. Hard to imagine they could not make money with all of us willing to spend nearly $300 on a drum alone.

What will everyone do when his Jobo dies
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Iíve been toying with the idea of buying a second CPE for parts.
    Beyond that Iíll have a cry and move on.

After JOBO

Nitrogen Gas Burst

I have already started consistently working with my plan B even though my CPP2 is bearly used and it is simply fabulous. Pull out the old Kodak 4a steel sheet film hangers, flip a switch and let her rip. Only moving part is the Ansco gas solenoid valve (still being made as we speak) and these solenoid valves last a reputed 20 years + with regular use. I do not have to worry about motors or gears or pumps going out and not being able to secure parts.

The labs that still do my occasional E6 use N2 gas burst so if it works for them why not us in smaller scale applications?

I have perfected my tray developing technique and can use it when I have to but using tanks and gas burst developing is 100% consistent and 0% chance of operator abuse to the emulsion.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last year, planning ahead for just such a possibility (eventual death of my CPA-2), I purchased a new CPP-2 as a spare. The CPA-2 was no longer available. That was before supply dwindled to virtually nothing and the price doubled.

The only decision left to make is whether to use the CPA or the CPP first. CPP holds temperature better but I speculate its electronic control system will be unrepairable in 15-20 years when it might fail. The CPA uses a simple mechanical thermostat, which has a greater chance of being substituted that far in the future. So I'm leaning toward using the CPP now.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I immediately went to the B&H site to confirm the $3400.00 price on the CPP2 and you're right. Freestyle and Calumet don't even list them anymore. It's interesting that the lift arm didn't go up nor did the $499.00 tempering box. The lift arm is one item to stock up on as they are known to have trouble- usually because of not being used properly. I heard that Jobo would still be making the CPE-2s. I bought several new Jobo processors over the last 2 years and was hoping to get one more new CPP2 but not for $3400.00. If money was no object I would no doubt buy four new CPP2s (at the new price, even) to be on the safe side. It will be interesting to see what effect this new Jobo price-point will do to prices on the auction site.

It's important to keep in mind that the Jobo processors were built to take a lot of use from pro photographers and small labs. The ammount of use that the average APUGger would subject the processor to is likely far less than what the machine was designed for. I once met an amateur photographer who said he processed thousands of 4x5 sheet films in Expert drums through his 1st Revision CPA without any trouble.

Jobo used to sell rebuild and upgrade kits and maybe they still do.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If my CPP-2 ever gets to the point of being unrepairable by a service technician or I can't kludge something together to make it work, like Richard, I berieve for my loss and, then, move on. Developing roll film in small tanks, again, wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities (I guess), but sheet film? I used to process LF film in trays, but after my first run on the Jobo in an Expert Drum I tossed the trays and never looked back! Maybe for LF film I'd pull out my BTZS tubes...dunno, though.

LONG LIVE OUT JOBO PROCESSORS!!!!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Richard and Alan, I'd find a way to fix it, or switch to something else. Currently, the primary purpose of mine is for processing 4x5 B&W in a 2500 tank. Lots of people run those successfully on Beseler or Ciba motor bases which would be easy to replicate if needed.
    FWIW, I believe Jobo is still in business, just not in the small-batch photo processor business.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My CPE died recently and I tried a Uniroller with the Jobo tank. Works like a charm and may actually be better for some of the pyros in terms of reduced oxidation. The Uniroller cost me $26. Just have to keep an eye on temperature - otherwise I will not miss my Jobo too much (especially their ridiculous prices for just about everything).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd just make a water bath for my Expert drums and get a gear set from McMaster Carr so I could hand-crank the drums, and hook up a funnel/spigot to get my chems inside. That's 90% of what a CPA/CPP does for you, other than temperature control.

Omega-Satter will service the Jobo units, and replacement parts are still being made.

My next alternative would be the BTZS tubes...

Edwin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin