Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,191   Online: 753

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Best lenses for Omega B-22

A great yard sale find for $20.00. Came with 2 Rodenstock Omegar lenses,50mm & 75mm. Are there better quality lenses around that would fit the B-22?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Had one of the B-22's many years back and liked it very much. Pause after touching the head as it will vibe for awhile. A 6 element El-Nikkor, Rodagon or Schneider would be a good match-up for your machine and nice examples are quite affordable now. Your Omegars are likely 4 element Rodenstock-sourced and are quite sufficient for smaller prints but I would promote getting a notch up in glass to make enlargements more gratifying to produce.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Almost anything you'd want to use should fit. 39mm LTM mounts. I'm assuming the two you've currently got are on 39mm lensboards. Yes?

Shooter
    35mm
    I tested the 75mm Rodenstock against a 75mm Nikkor and a old Kodak Ektar 75mm. Surprisingly, to me, the Rodenstock was the winner, sharper at f/4.5 and f/16 than the others. It also had the best accuracy of f/stop. (Test procedure was a 4x5 print made from the corner at max height of enlarger)

Shooter
    Large Format
    To make a long story short I started with Rogonar (same as Omegar) and was never happy with the results. I switched to Rodenstock Rodagon and was very happy.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the price of enlarging lens what they are today, the minimum you should be using is a Componon-S or a Nikon 50/2.8. I have a Nikon 50/4.0 that isn't worth the cost of shipping. And it's at least as good as your Omega/Rodenstock.
    With that enlarger, did you receive the supplementary condensor for printing 35mm? It evens out the light with those small negatives.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I did get the supplementary condenser.
    The enlarger was actually packaged in it's origional box with all the paper work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    What format do you shoot most (or are likely to adopt in the future?) If you shoot mostly 35mm and some 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, get a good, 6 element 80 mm and use it for both. It will somewhat limit the size of enlargement for 35mm, but you'll also be using the sharper, center portion of the lens.

If you shoot a lot of 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, get a good, 6 element 105mm. Again, the longer than 'normal' focal length lens will limit your size of enlargement a bit, but you'll be using the center of the lens.

I favor Rodagons, but a Componon-S or El-Nikkor will be comparable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    What format do you shoot most (or are likely to adopt in the future?) If you shoot mostly 35mm and some 2 1/4 x 2 1/4, get a good, 6 element 80 mm and use it for both. It will somewhat limit the size of enlargement for 35mm, but you'll also be using the sharper, center portion of the lens.
    ... And negating any theoretical sharpness enhancement by bigger vibrations in the enlarger column due to the need to set the head higher.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About 80% of my worh is 35mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin