Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,926   Posts: 1,556,805   Online: 952

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Except for the 45 computerized version, Both the 45s and the DG1 are not that difficult to fix. I don't have a DG1, but I would suggest to check the switch on the white ligh level first.
    Chan, thanks. I'm going to try all the suggested fixes and report back. I have some great 4x5 negs to print and share with everyone.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How did the fix go? I got tired of looking for hard to find 8x10 enlargers so it's contact printing in ULF. I have a Beseler MCRX with a Beseler and a Cold light head, but it's the contact "look" that gets me going.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    How did the fix go? I got tired of looking for hard to find 8x10 enlargers so it's contact printing in ULF. I have a Beseler MCRX with a Beseler and a Cold light head, but it's the contact "look" that gets me going.

Curt
    Curt, I took it apart and I can't figure it out. I need to print some 4x5 negs so I'm keeping my eye on some cold light heads. Meanwhile, I've been contact printing also. I must say that printing in the light is great. My Thomas safe light is wide open and the 8x10 Azo prints are looking good.

jim

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can not fix the thing and decide to junk it, can I have it? I do hope that you can fix it though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Jim,
    I also have a Drchro DG - you might want to check the plug that plugs into the transformer - this is on the cord that goes from the light to the box mounted on your enlarger. You can open this plug up easily - it is held together with a few bolts. On my head, one of the wires came loose from the from the plug and needed to be re-soldered. I also have the voltage regulator - this is a very heavy box that goes on the floor and your transformer is plugged into it. My voltage regulator failed mysteriously - I suspect it is because I left it on with the light turned off. Anyway, since I am usually printing at night when no one is running anything else in the house, I simply stopped using the voltage regulator and just plug my head directly into the blower.

Dan

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I also have a Drchro DG - you might want to check the plug that plugs into the transformer - this is on the cord that goes from the light to the box mounted on your enlarger. You can open this plug up easily - it is held together with a few bolts. On my head, one of the wires came loose from the from the plug and needed to be re-soldered. I also have the voltage regulator - this is a very heavy box that goes on the floor and your transformer is plugged into it. My voltage regulator failed mysteriously - I suspect it is because I left it on with the light turned off. Anyway, since I am usually printing at night when no one is running anything else in the house, I simply stopped using the voltage regulator and just plug my head directly into the blower.

Dan
    Dan, thanks. I was wondering if the voltage regulator had something to do with it. I will check the plug also. Everything else looks ok so I'm thinking that the regulator has failed. I'll let you know.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim, as you and I have already discussed, this looks like a common problem with the DG1. Mine was working fine, but when I moved it into my new dark room, it stopped working. I have had the transformer checked, and is working fine. The problem is in the head. I either need to figure out how to fix it, or replace it. Are there any heads that replace the DG1? or can I gut this and put some new lights in it? Help......
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By all means if you are considering a new head, I'd ship that DG off to someone who can fix it up and use it. There really should not be anything in the head besides the bulbs. I suspect the 200W bulbs have fried the sockets. That should be an easy fix.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I found the problem. It seems I had a loose wire in the plug that goes into the transformer. Everything is soldered and running smooth. Now my other rookie question. Can I use the red filter on the dichro head as a contrast filter?

Rick
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    “Can I use the red filter on the dichro head as a contrast filter?”

The question is confusing. A dichroic color head has cyan, yellow, and magenta filters only (unless your dichroic head is equipped with a red filter, which seems unlikely).

Enlargers used to have red “safety” filters installed on moving plate under the lens. The safety filter passes a dim red light that the enlarging paper is relatively insensitive to.

The true purpose was as a safe positioning device when making prints different than the easel size allowed. The print was made with the enlarging paper lying directly on the baseboard.

The image was first focused onto the back of a scrap print focusing sheet. Then the red filter was introduced. The focusing sheet was removed and the enlarging paper was positioned under the dim red projection to allow positioning visually without exposing the paper (provided that the amount of time under the red light was kept short).

Then the light was switched off, the filter removed from the light path, and the print was exposed.

You can use the yellow and magenta filters of your dichroic color head in various combinations to control the contrast of variable-contrast enlarging papers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin