Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,894   Online: 1235

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

My Beseler Dichro Head died!!

I was set up to print all day this past Sunday and my dichro head on my Beseler 45 was dead. The power seems to be getting to the thing and the bulbs are good but they do not come on. Any ideas? Do I need to consider a cold light, another dichro head or another enlarger altogether? The wires all look good. Is it a problem with these heads? It is an older one. Any help would be great.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Isn't there a transformer for that? Did you check voltage? Did you check the wiring in the head?

I rebuilt one about 2 years ago from the wiring being burnt up. It's not really a hard thing to do. I also cleaned mine while it was apart and got the dust off the filters.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim, which one, model, is it? I have one that had dead electronics, I tried and tried to clean the contacts and such but in the end I took all of the electronics out, the boards, and changed the 83V halogen bulb with a 120V halogen bulb of the same color temperature. This head has the three knobs on the front to adjust the color, C,M,Y. I bought a used color analyser so I could figure out the filtering and since I don't do color it works great. The transformer went out in the original configuration and now I don't need a transformer and that archaic 83Volt bulb. I runs it on a Sola CV supply so there is a consistent power supply to the unit. I wired the original fan separately as it has to run until cool after the unit has been used. I need to put it on a spare timer so I don't forget to turn it off though.

If you need to get going sooner than later then an Aristo head works very well on these enlargers.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do you have a Beseler Dichro 45S Colorhead, or a Beseler Dichro 45 Color Computer head?

Murray

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ok, everyone I have the Dichro DG-1 color head 400 watt. It has the color dials on the front. The bulbs say Osram EUL 200 watt 24 volt. Both of them are in great condition. The head plugs into a voltage regulator? It is a heavy rectangular box about 3 1/2 x5x7. When I plug it in i can hear it working. Must be a wiring issue or something? This is not my specialty so I guess I have nothing to loose by taking it apart when time allows. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about the DG1 head, but as a rule with my experience I would smell the unit for any obvious smoke damage, like shorts, then look for any fuses, they sometimes have black caps on the outside.

I would inspect the wiring for damage then plug it in and check the voltage in the bulb socket. Check the bulb. Then if nothing, open the case and look for shorts and inspect the wires to make sure they are hooked, soldered, in ok. Check the transformer, input and output, with a multimeter. You can get one cheap at RadioShack etc.. If it's not the wiring, fuses, transformer, bulb socket then it's the electronics in the circuit boards or if they are removable clean them. The Beseler heads I am familiar with have removable circuit boards that have contacts which needs to be cleaned off once and a while and can cause the head to fail. Other than that I don't know. If the unit is on a timer, plug it directly and try it.

Good luck,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt, thanks for all of the troubleshooting info. I will check all of this out and report back. There is no smell at all and as I remember when I was warming up the head the light just went out. I'll let you know what I find.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim get/borrow a voltage gauge unit and test the regulator/power unit. Step by step elimination. If it's toast, let me know as a friend has one in the garage on the stand sitting unused and unloved. All works except the readouts for the cmy. Pick a part maybe...
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    Jim get/borrow a voltage gauge unit and test the regulator/power unit. Step by step elimination. If it's toast, let me know as a friend has one in the garage on the stand sitting unused and unloved. All works except the readouts for the cmy. Pick a part maybe...
    Matt, will do. I'll let you know.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Except for the 45 computerized version, Both the 45s and the DG1 are not that difficult to fix. I don't have a DG1, but I would suggest to check the switch on the white ligh level first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin