Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,717   Online: 781

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Unicolor 8x10 drum seal

Has anyone replaced their unicolor tanks seals? If so, where did you get them if still available? If not I would assume it is not impossible to make one? Anyone ever do that as well and what did you use? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I have one tank out of two that is starting to leak and want to fix it.

Thanks Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a sheet of gasket material from a auto supply store that was about the same thickness as the unicolor seal and used the oringial as a pattern, but even then the tank still leaked a little. After a couple of trys I gave up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used the seal from a Unicolour roll film tank. It is the same part and fit perfectly. It fixed my leak problems. Maybe you can find one second hand on ebay.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mine leaks a bit but I just place a small tray under the offending end and put up with it. Doesn't answer your question, does it
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Images
    Good Afternoon, Andrew,

If the Unicolor continues to be frustrating, check E-bay for a Chromega. I have two, one of which I've used (sheet film processing) hundreds of times over at least 25 years. So far, no leaks, no problems.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually had a PM from someone who had the idea of using a folgers coffee can lid and tracing a copy of the original gasket on there that seems to work for him. I'll give that a go, or I might try some rubber sheets and do the same thing.

Images
    I tried everything on mine including a coffee can lid and nothing worked. Might work for you
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy,
    When new, the Unicolor gaskets are nice and pliant. Over time and with usage they become stiff and lose their resiliency, resulting in leaks. In the color section of the lab I worked in we had quite a number of Unicolor tubes under heavy use, and frequently replaced gaskets. I still use quite a few Uncolor tubes for my own work and have had to replace every single gasket.

The best material to use is thin neoprene (about 2mm thick), which you can buy in small sheets in a crafts store. They come in every imaginable color for kid's art and craft projects, including the mandatory black. A dollar for a sheet about 12x12 inches, enough material for a number of tubes. Use the old plastic gasket as a template, and cut a simple ring. You can dispense with the radiating tabs that come with the original gasket. I use an inexpensive circular cutter for the job, although a pair of scissors would do. 2mm is actually too thick to permit easy installation of the Uniroller lid, so what I do is I use a hammer to flatten the neoprene ring a bit. This also breaks in the material for a better fit. Remove the dried up original gasket, then rubber cement the neoprene ring onto the rubber ring seated in the perimeter of the lid. Install the lid. It will be tight at first. The let sit for a few days for the neoprene to break in. In all the years of refurbishing Unicolor tubes this way, I have yet to have a single leak. I too have tried using coffee can lids as replacement materials. They leak!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    dont' forget to smear vasoline on the lid, and the gasket before you
    put them on. mine leaked, until i did that, now they don't leak anymore.
    im empty, good luck

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin