Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,030   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Multi Format

X-Rite 310TR issue

Let me start off by apologizing if this is the wrong forum...

I have the above mentioned densitometer. I used it yesterday to make a number of reflection readings. Today I attempted to use it again - bogus negative density values. OK, recalibrate... after setting the Cal-Lo values and reading the Lo step on my calibration step tablet the unit would display a negative value on the readout. This occured whether it was just the visual channel or the ALL (colour channels) I was trying to calibrate. After reading the Lo calibration value the unit should go on to ask for the Cal-Hi values to be input. Today it would not go to that step. (But it works fine in the transmission mode, yesterday and today.)

So, my questions are:

1. Have any of you experienced this issue before? (and is there an solution other than "send it in for repairs")

2. Has anybody access to some sort of troubleshooting or repair manual other than the very short section in the operator manual? (I'm not afraid to "lift the lid" and fiddle - if I've got guidance.)

3. Does anybody know of someone (in Canada preferably) who repairs old X-Rite models like this (without charging a "you're in the business so can afford expensive repairs" type fee. I'm not in the business...)?

Thanks, Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Dave,

I have an X-RITE 310 CMYK Transmission Densitometer which is probably similar except I don't have the reflectance head. There is an internal back up battery to save calibration etc. when the unit is off. It eventually fails and is replaceable, but that does not sound like your problem. You can send the unit to the US and have it reconditioned for a flat fee, or send it to

DocuCom Imaging Solutions, Inc
    121 Romina Drive
    Concord, Ontario, L4K 4Z9 Canada
    Phone 905-660-8213 or 877-362-8266 ext 8213
    Fax 905-660-8239 or 800-637-0912

Call them first. Their prices are higher than the US and with the present exchange rate it may be cheaper to send south. I believe that X-Rite in the US

http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...=support&ID=24

4300 44th St. SE
    Grand Rapids, MI 49512 USA
    Phone 800-248-9748 or 616-803-2100
    Email info@xrite.com

ships by UPS which can be pricey. IIRC you are looking at $400-500, but you get a completely refurbished unit.

You don't say if the unit is new to you, that is, has it worked fine for a long time and is just now faulty?

Loose cables are always the first place to look. I have found that X-Rite US has been helpful for parts, but I don't know about trouble shooting. Also, IIRC you might try turning the unit off (and unplugging it) overnight and trying again.

This probably hasn't helped much, but at least you have a couple of 1-800 numbers to call.

One last thing: I think that Beau Photo is a dealer. That may not help for repairs of discontinued models.

Beau Photo Supplies
    1520 West 6th Avene
    Vancouver, BC V6J 1R2 Canada
    Phone 604-734-7771
    Fax 604-734-7730

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CRhymer View Post
    ---> snip

This probably hasn't helped much, but at least you have a couple of 1-800 numbers to call.

One last thing: I think that Beau Photo is a dealer. That may not help for repairs of discontinued models.

Beau Photo Supplies
    1520 West 6th Avene
    Vancouver, BC V6J 1R2 Canada
    Phone 604-734-7771
    Fax 604-734-7730

Cheers,
    Clarence
    Clarence, thanks for the phone numbers! It's a good starting point. As far as Beau goes, they're the #1 stop in this town for all sorts of stuff, not likely for the old 310 from all appearances, but I will check when I'm in today.

The unit was not new to me, though I believe the lab I got it from had it from new. I did all the usual cable things, but haven't tried leaving it unplugged. I had the bottom off looking for loose items (and that battery which I didn't locate). I didn't take it too far apart as I am loathe to do so without some sort of guidance - I hate left-overs.)

Dave

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello Dave,

The battery is soldered to the printed circuit board, and is not IIRC labelled. It is not immediately obvious that it is a battery, and may be on the other side of the board.

Since I don't have the reflectance unit I can't be specific. However, a few things:

Do you have the user manual? If not, I can email it to you in .pdf - it is about 800k. It used to be available from the German site (in English), but I can't find it a now. The calibration method is on the US (English) site.
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overvie...t&SupportID=14

However, it sounds like you have calibration instructions and the proper calibrating wedge.

The function key can be a bit confusing until you get used to it.

Did you try calibrating it for transmission? Are you able to set the time and date? Does the unit retain the time and date information when it is switched off for and hour or so?

You can also check this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...uestion-3.html

Donal Miller uses X-rites. You could PM him and see if he has used the reflectance head.

I'll see if I can think of any other possibilities.

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    --->snip

The battery is soldered to the printed circuit board, and is not IIRC labelled. It is not immediately obvious that it is a battery, and may be on the other side of the board.

<---snip

Clarence, thanks for the additional info regarding the battery.

I have a copy of the manual thanks, a battered photocopy came with the unit, and I did subsequently find a PDF version on the X-Rite site.

The unit still calibrates and operates normally in transmission mode though the this data and the time/date data disappears if the unit is off for a while. This last info was what led me to search for issues other's might have had - where I discovered the messages you've linked for me.

I've emailed DocuCom and my questions have been submitted to the appropriate person. I'm hoping to hear from them on Monday as it's way past closing time in the big TO now.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is assuming the bulb in the reflection head is still functioning to specs. There may be loose wires in the head on the reciever end, those negative values tell me there a lack of input during calibration.
    Gary Beasley

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin