Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,050   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Ilford 500H head on Beseler 45M

Does anybody have this combination at home? I've bought a 500H head that was used on an Omega chassis and would like to use it on my Beseler 45M.

The head won't fit directly to the Beseler as the Omega has a narrower, um, throat??, so I need to make some sort of adapter to mate the two together. What I'm trying to figure out is:
    a) Do you keep the condensor stage or leave it off all together, and
    b) Is there a spacer tube at the bottom of the head or does it just sit flat either on top of the filter drawer or on top of the negative stage.

I've got all the gizmos and connections and appear to have the correct size mixing box so it just seems to be a matter of physically connecting the head to the enlarger and I'll be right.

thanks,
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The condensor goes. There is an adaptor plate for Beseler 45M series enlargers. If you are handy with cutting metal, maybe you could make one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While searching for some Beseler odds and ends on eBay and elsewhere, I've seen these adapter rings occasionally. A little digging and patience might yield one or a good image of one to replicate.

I've discovered things that I didn't know existed... I recently got some odds and ends that included a Beseler bracket kit for adapting a 45 Dichro head to the 67 chassis. Never would have thought of that being an option until I got the kit.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    h paul
    i have the set up you are trtying to copy. give me a day or so and when i get home i will shoot a few dig pictures of the plate and give you the specs. it will be easy to copy.
    mitch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I may have the right part for you...

Hi, Paul -

I just noticed your post. Are you still working on this project? I acquired a 500H head and controller a few months ago for my Omega D5XL and it came with what I believe is a Beseler 45 adapter (flat plate with round, flanged opening). I can dig it out of storage and post a photo for you to see if it's the right part if you haven't already found a solution. If it's what you need, you can have it for the cost of postage and a print when you're up and running.

Regards, Graham

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the replies folks. A couple of pictures of the adapter would be a great help. Graham, if it is the right one I'd be very grateful to exchange a print and postage for it.

Regards, Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Paul -

I have dug out of storage what I think may be a Beseler adapter plate. It is 9 3/4" x 6 1/2", however the rectangular hole within the plate is only 3" x 3 3/16". Around the hole on one side is a 5 1/2" round flange attached to one side, 7/8" deep. While I think this is for a Beseler, I don't think it's the 4 x 5 adapter. If you still want it, or want me to take some pics of it, PM me your e-mail address.

Regards, Graham

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Graham,
    The round flange on the head is 5" diameter and the mixing box is 3" x 3.5" so those measurements stack up pretty well. I'll PM my email address.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Paul

I also have a Beseler 45MX and Ilford head. The attached scan shows how it fits onto the Beseler, using the adaptor plate.

There are several things to note about fitting the head to a Beseler:
    1. Each adaptor plate is specific to the enlarger type. Although if you are reasonably handy, it should be fairly easy to make one up.

2. Because of the Beseler design, the lamp brackets are offset about 1cm by item 7 in the figure. (I gather that other enlargers don't need this item.)

3. The mixing boxes are special (taller) because they have to protrude below the adaptor, into the top of the enlarger housing, so that the bottom of the mixing box is just a few millimetres above the neg carrier.)

4. In the case of the 4x5 mixing box, it is actually in two parts. The bottom part drops into the opening in the adaptor, and the top part sits on top.

If you need any more help, I can take (digital) pics, etc.
    Regards, Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BeselerAdaptor.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Andrew, that diagram does make things a little clearer. It looks like I could manufacture the plate itself easily enough, but the mixing box could be a problem.

The Omega mixing box sits .5" below the bottom of the head and as noted earlier is about 3" x 3.5". That diagram makes it look like the mixing box for the Beseler will be larger, not just taller. Having said that, the mixing box isn't that complex either so with some good pictures and measurements I might just be able to manufacture that too. If you could photograph the mixing box from a few different angles and give me basic LxWxH measurements that would get me started. Similarly if you could take a picture of the plate on the bottom of the head and measure the hole for the mixing box that would help too.

thanks,
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin