Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,140   Online: 865

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry Mount Press

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

cheap release paper option

Release paper, if you have never priced it , can give one a bit of a sticker shock. It does last a long time. I use empty label release sheets for mounts up to 8x10. These are generated from the pre-printed lable that I apply to the back of the print for the name of the print maker, and then used to hand write in any title or image indexing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am using an old Seal dry mount now and got very good results. The temperature is set at 200 which works the best, but I have no idea what the real temperature is.

You can look for it on Craig's list, they pop up now and then. If you lucky, you can get one around 200 bucks.

Mike, you are right about the price on release paper, It just cost two much. I use two 4-ply board to sandwich my print when dry mount it.

Alex W.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    I am using an old Seal dry mount now and got very good results. The temperature is set at 200 which works the best, but I have no idea what the real temperature is.

You can look for it on Craig's list, they pop up now and then. If you lucky, you can get one around 200 bucks.

Mike, you are right about the price on release paper, It just cost two much. I use two 4-ply board to sandwich my print when dry mount it.

Alex W.
    It took me a while to find a good used press, because I wasn't interested in paying to ship one. Be aware that a good price and shipping can cost more, than a more expensive one that is local.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid $9.95 for mine - plus $69.00 shipping. Still a good deal.
    You can check the temperature by sticking a meat thermometer into it.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no need to buy release paper. Parchment baking paper will serve just as well and is much less expensive. It's not not 'wax' paper, but is coated with a non stick material that will withstand far higher temperatures than a dry mount press will generate. Here's a link I found when googling:

http://www.budgetpackaging.com/dix24q.html
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    ...I highly recommend Bienfang Buffermount. It is the only "archival" dry mount I know of. (As archival as dry mount gets, anyway)
    I use that too but I am still using my supply of the Seal MT-5 version.

What about the dry mount tissue from Freestyle? I have some in 11x14 but have not tried it yet. I assume that it is archival. Is it not?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I use that too but I am still using my supply of the Seal MT-5 version.

What about the dry mount tissue from Freestyle? I have some in 11x14 but have not tried it yet. I assume that it is archival. Is it not?
    There are several versions of "archival". Many things claim to be archival because they are acid free, however for fine photographic purposes "archivally" mounted generally means reversible. Many dry mountings can be reversed with enough heat, however the risk to the print can be high. As I understand it, Buffermount uses a wax instead of an adhesive. In any case, I have tested reheating prints mounted with Buffermount, and found that they can indeed be removed undamaged with a little care. Dry mounting is not really an "archival" process anyway, but I much prefer the presentation to other more classic methods, so I try to be as "archival" as I can. Weston mounted many prints on the cardboard his shirts came wrapped around from the laundry, so I don't get too up tight about it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    I use a pizza stone for this. If you're not familiar with such a thing, it's a heavy, flat slab of smooth stone that one heats in an oven and then puts pizza crust on for even heating. It's waaaaay less expensive than, for instance, the enameled piece of steel sold by Light Impressions.
    That is a fantastic idea. I might also suggest ordering one of these small irons http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXL499&P=7 for $16 instead of the $60 version I often see elsewhere. Since when did adding "photo" to something have the same effect as adding the word "sailboat?"

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all that replied. I've agreed to purchase a fellow APUGer's older/used machine in December. He was very generous.

And Will S., thanks for the tip of the Tower Hobbies tacking irons. As a side note they have a conversions table for wet, dry, area conversions which is really helpful.

Thanks all,

PS: Pizza Stone???? This I will have to look into later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    PS: Pizza Stone???? This I will have to look into later.
    Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Old-Stone-Oven.../dp/B0000E1FDA
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin