Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,435   Online: 988

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

repairing a Gralab 300?

I just got a GraLab 300 from fleabay ($26 inc shipping). It was said to be in great working condition. BUT, it jumps over 60 seconds to 55 sec and skips through 30 sec to 25 sec (takes more than 5 sec). Is this easily repaired or should I try to return it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

only if you are mechanically minded

I have never had a need to pull a 300 apart, but have fixed other mechanical/electrical timers.

Most of the time the motor drives the gears that cause the dials on the front to move, and also turns a hidden in the back gear with notch, or gear with trip cog on it to contact an electrical limit switch. When the limit switch (sometimes more than one) is contacted that shuts the motor off, closes the time out switch, etc. In your case it sounds like there is a literal screw loose somewhere. Look what the cog/notch etc is lined up with as it apporaches zero/60 You may find that the shut off switch has fallen off of its mounting bracket in shipping it to you. .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are set screws that hold the hands on, are these tight? Presumably, the hands are not bent?
    I've not been inside one recently enough to know if there are any easy repair prospects internally.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with bdial, it sounds like the hands are loose. They are shifting while they pass through the 12 and 6 (aka, 60/30) regions. May be as simple as tightening the set screws that secure the hands to the spindles.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin