Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,921   Online: 1127

Shooter
    Medium Format

Stains on Nova 3 slot tank.

Hi, I have been lucky enough to obtain a 12x16 3 slot heated Nova processing tank. The tank has been used and has one slot which is quite clean, the middle slot shows some staining and the third slot has a heavy staining, dark brown and slightly dusty (it comes off on my finger if I rub it).
    I'm not sure if I should clean this up before I try to use it, or with what, but it seems a good idea that I use the slots for the same purpose (dev,stop.fix) as it has been used before. Is it clear which slot has been used for what?
    (I can guess that the middle slot has been used for stop, although I have no idea if it has even been used on B&W chemistry.

I had to mend some damage that it picked up in the post, I think it's leaking from the middle slot, this could be a challenge!

Dave....

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Yes, clean it well before using. The dark brown is most likely the developer slot.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a bunch of denture cleaner tablets and let it soak overnight. Then another night with bleach water.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd use them front to back in the processing order of dev stop and fix. I clean mine with dilute bleach up to top and leave for up to 24hrs. Drain a little then use a bottle brush which reaches the bottom until all the gunge is floating then drain. For faster draining you can remove the bottom tap. Then flush with water and you are all set.

Nova sell a spray which I think would do the job maybe assisted by the brush. Any cleaner which isn't harmful to plastic should work. I'd just err on the careful side when using cleaning chems. Better to let them take their time rather than try to remove gunge with super concentrated levels

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Whilst typing the first post the tank was sitting, each slot full with empty heating tanks. The middle slot has leaked into one of the heating tanks!
    I noticed that there is a split in the top black strip between the middle slot and one side slot which has cracked down into the side wall of the middle. If I'm lucky, this is repairable as i can reach it, if it's leaking from lower down, it may be scrap.
    I'll leave the cleaning til later.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nova also sells the recommended glue for repairs, their web site has the name. It's not a common brand here, but perhaps it is on your side of the pond.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, thanks for the glue suggestion. I used some to glue on the corners which were knocked off in the post, and a couple of splits in one of the outer walls. I just didn't notice this other damage!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It turns out that the damage to the tank is more extensive than I had thought, much more than simply the corners of two sides knocked off. It was draining into one of the heating slots. When dry I could see a 3 inch vertical crack in one of the inner walls. I ran some glue down it and hope that this might seal it.
    I am puzzled by the two 10mm holes in one end of the tank, about 2/3s of the height of the tank, one hole into each heating chamber. Is this standard? Is it to limit the amount of water in the chambers?

Regards, Dave...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's standard, they are supposed to have plugs. When you fill the heating chamber you only fill it to the level of those holes, then insert the plugs. The Nova web site has complete instructions. Make sure you don't operate the heater with the chamber empty!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin